South Wales Gundog Trainers

Chat about anything off-topic

South Wales Gundog Trainers

Postby bigthug87 » Sun May 29, 2011 6:27 pm

Any members about in the South Wales area ?

It seems to be a bit quiet about my way :think: I looked online and dont seem to be any gundog training clubs around me, hope theres some and I just havent found them :pray:

Around me its not an amazing place for shooting :doh: Although after a long time of trying have a tidy place in season that attracts a few ducks and rabbits.

Also recently acquired some land with Fallow Deer on it so hopefully I can get some Deer Stalking next season aswell :pray: Just waiting for my FAC back from the Police with the new ammendments :roll:

Always enjoy reading posts on here. Been a member for a while but thought Id put the feelers out and see whos about :-p
bigthug87

Re: South Wales Gundog Trainers

Postby Bogtrotter » Sun May 29, 2011 6:34 pm

I'm more West Wales than south (Brechfa Forest) but we have a fabulous training group with Huw Jones (he's running in the Skinners World Cup today in Welsh team!) based in St Clears.Where exactly are you? Our training ground is very easy to access, 10 mins from Carmarthen. See here http://www.gundogs-wales.co.uk or you can PM me for more info if you like.

Hopefully may see you down this way? :-D

Fiona

The site for the working Barbet http://www.barbetchasseurfrancais.info
Bogtrotter

Dogs: Nénu (Barbet)

Postby cockermadblonde » Sun May 29, 2011 6:48 pm

what about Carmarthenshire working gundog society? they dont have a website that i know of but the membership sec is Mr Elvin Thomas info@awyriachgundogs.co.uk
Happiness is a cocker and a brace of pheasant!
cockermadblonde

Dogs: Isla

Postby bigthug87 » Sun May 29, 2011 8:50 pm

Cheers guys. Nice to find some similar people about. Cheers Bogtrotter for that link. I found a phone number for Carmarthen club but no website.

I myself am in Kenfig, Its in Bridgend County Borough, just outside Porthcawl if you know it. Seems that link is down at the moment :( Hope its back up soon. I started last week working down Carmarthen on the odd day. Hopefully I can get down there and check it out :)
bigthug87

Postby FLAG-MAN » Sun May 29, 2011 10:15 pm

Hi BIGTHUG87, Been reading your other post as well tonight, Looks like you have a decent place to shoot,
have you considered putting some birds down yourself.
How many acres is your ground, cover, woods etc.
Iam in south wales my self (closer than you think) but dogless at the moment.
what dogs have you got at the moment,
mike shefford (Housty) kennels is in swansea he might put you in touch with clubs or english springer club of wales.
you will get local club numbers from the kennel club web site.
Elvin will also help as per cockermadblonde post.
best of luck?
FLAG-MAN

Postby bigthug87 » Sun May 29, 2011 11:15 pm

FLAG-MAN wrote:Hi BIGTHUG87, Been reading your other post as well tonight, Looks like you have a decent place to shoot,
have you considered putting some birds down yourself.
How many acres is your ground, cover, woods etc.
Iam in south wales my self (closer than you think) but dogless at the moment.
what dogs have you got at the moment,
mike shefford (Housty) kennels is in swansea he might put you in touch with clubs or english springer club of wales.
you will get local club numbers from the kennel club web site.
Elvin will also help as per cockermadblonde post.
best of luck?

Cheers mate, taken me about 3 years to get the places I got :) and it wasnt as simple as knocking the door and asking to go out with the gun.

I have wondered about putting down some birds but know there are several others who shoot the land I go on so they would prob mostly be shot by others :lol: also never done anything like that before, I wouldn't mind giving it a go mind you but prob not for a few years yet.

At the moment mate I have a Labrador I use for my duck shooting and general mooching about, she is 2 and does ok.
Have a 1 year old Springer who is a nice wee bitch but very timid so have done very little with her, hoping to do alot this summer and really bring her along for some rough shooting :pray: She retrieved a big mallard duck last season and brought it to me :dance: Just need to teach her to be steady :brickwall:
bigthug87

Postby FLAG-MAN » Mon May 30, 2011 7:42 am

Best of luck with the summer training and the shoot,
Hope all goes well.
FLAG-MAN

Return to General Chat