Search found 296 matches

by Kibble
Mon Feb 10, 2025 7:49 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: It's all about the training!
Replies: 654
Views: 134372

Re: It's all about the training!

I had a great time, but my confident dog has become even more confident. There is so much to do before next season
At least I know what's expected now.
by Kibble
Mon Feb 10, 2025 7:45 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: It's all about the training!
Replies: 654
Views: 134372

Re: It's all about the training!

Mia and I have survived a season beating (just)
by Kibble
Thu Dec 05, 2024 8:09 am
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: GPS tracker recall
Replies: 9
Views: 2344

Re: GPS tracker recall

We were part of the 'stop' waiting on a wooded bank. It was so funny when Mia heard the beat leaders' radios crackle she sat up, pricked up her ears and turned to the sounds. I expect she thought I needed helping out.
by Kibble
Wed Nov 13, 2024 9:21 am
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: It's all about the training!
Replies: 654
Views: 134372

Re: It's all about the training!

Thank you Naj. It was fun. I am encouraged by the fact that when the guns were close, Mia just stopped still and looked up at the birds. There was of more waiting in one place for her, compared with what she is used to. She was mostly quiet, and if she started whimpering a bit, I just walked her abo...
by Kibble
Tue Nov 12, 2024 7:02 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: It's all about the training!
Replies: 654
Views: 134372

Re: It's all about the training!

Thanks both. I really did enjoy the day and I now get what all the excitement is about. I am confident that the little b** will find me if she escapes. So it's good advice to stay quiet and not make a fuss!
I am taking it slowly, but it would be great to have her hunt properly.
by Kibble
Tue Nov 12, 2024 1:14 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: It's all about the training!
Replies: 654
Views: 134372

Re: It's all about the training!

Mia is now officially a working WCS! There is still a long way to go. For now she is on a lead and not too close to the action on a small shoot. However, it's a start and I want to say thank you for all the great forum advice. I have learnt so much and made lots of mistakes. I suppose Mia has finall...
by Kibble
Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:17 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: It's all about the training!
Replies: 654
Views: 134372

Re: It's all about the training!

Steadiness is still a problem with Mia, but I am having a bit of fun with some scent games in the garden, and I think this is helping. In one game Mia has to sit while I throw three bits of plaited fleece in front of her. Then she goes on cue to fetch the one that is scented with catnip. Quite why s...
by Kibble
Fri Jun 21, 2024 12:19 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: It's all about the training!
Replies: 654
Views: 134372

Re: It's all about the training!

Thank you Honestly walking her is easier, and I am more confident now, so I guess some training has eventually sunk in. :-D We are home and I am definitely going to work on Stop, stop and more stop. I can get a stop, and even a stop and sit, but it's not reliable. It would be easy if I could use the...
by Kibble
Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:23 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: It's all about the training!
Replies: 654
Views: 134372

Re: It's all about the training!

I am on holiday in the Lake District, with Mia. I still have a vague hope that I can train her well enough to work her, but in the meantime, and until the shooting season starts, we are back to her original 'job', which was to walk with me. This week she has been mostly :? good on walks (coming away...
by Kibble
Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:52 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: It's all about the training!
Replies: 654
Views: 134372

Re: It's all about the training!

Thanks Judy It helps if I know what I should be aiming for. Mia picks up fewer bits of disgusting carrion now, which is good. I think she is getting the leave it message at last. It's better late than never. I didn't expect her to find a bunny in the middle of a meadow. I can do some more work with ...