Search found 12 matches

by Fullers1845
Wed Sep 09, 2026 10:58 am
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Puppy barking at 9 weeks - normal?
Replies: 3
Views: 310

Puppy barking at 9 weeks - normal?

Have a really nicely bred young pup that has let out a couple of barks when excited. She got no response from me as I 100% will not reward noise, but does this not bode well for the future? Sounds like a daft question, but this is only my second cocker, and first didn't even bark once until she was ...
by Fullers1845
Mon Jul 29, 2024 3:38 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Cockers retrieving
Replies: 13
Views: 34373

Re: Cockers retrieving

I've got a WCS (pet) that has been bred from a few generations of 'pets', has no red ink whatsoever in the last 3 generations (and little before that) and is very low drive and laid back. She will never ever hunt unless on scent and even then is a plodder. Also is quite a lazy retriever, and up to t...
by Fullers1845
Mon May 20, 2024 12:55 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Dropping article in new locations - help please!
Replies: 13
Views: 34413

Re: Dropping article in new locations - help please!

I had this exact problem with my cocker. She is 2 now and a fairly soft dog but can take a voice correction without folding up on me. She was trying it on a bit by dropping retrieves to turn away and hunt instead, and fixing it basically came down to a well timed 'Grrr' as soon as the dummy was drop...
by Fullers1845
Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:24 am
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Free play with other dogs
Replies: 4
Views: 875

Re: Free play with other dogs

I think then I'll just stick with the occasional run around with the couple of dogs I know and trust well. I let her play with the show cocker as the couple I know have him whistle trained and keep him close when off lead. Normally she's not too fussed about other dogs, it's more the attention of th...
by Fullers1845
Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:25 am
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Free play with other dogs
Replies: 4
Views: 875

Free play with other dogs

Just wondering if anyone allows their dogs a few minutes daft play with other dogs every now and then? Reason being I have had some real improvements training recently with our 18 month WCS and this morning walking home after training, I saw a couple who have a lovely young show cocker who has alway...
by Fullers1845
Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:28 am
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: The stop whistle
Replies: 15
Views: 24522

Re: The stop whistle

The first time my young WCS stopped to a whistle at a good distance from me, I was amazed, and delighted. :-D :-D She is now getting quite good at this, as long as she is in a boring environment. However, the difference between stopping when there is nothing exciting going on and stopping when ther...
by Fullers1845
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:21 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: The stop whistle
Replies: 15
Views: 24522

Re: The stop whistle

If it helps I'm in the same boat, but moving slowly forward. My cocker is now at the stage where she'll now stop but still sometimes will take a few steps before 'Oh yeah, I'm meant to stop' kicks in. Also what made a big difference is that now she definitely knows what the stop whistle means, and o...
by Fullers1845
Fri May 12, 2023 2:17 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Reluctant hunting/quartering
Replies: 8
Views: 1027

Re: Reluctant hunting/quartering

Coming along much better now; I've now got her really wound up (and unsteady : :lol: ) on tennis balls and been using some really long grass just up the road from me to play the 'where's that ball?!' game. The most fun is when you cover her eyes then throw in the ball before sending her, it's a grea...
by Fullers1845
Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:07 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Reluctant hunting/quartering
Replies: 8
Views: 1027

Re: Reluctant hunting/quartering

I’ve been working on getting her hyped up hunting tennis balls which has helped, my wife came with me to the field and we managed to get some excited hunting for tennis balls. Unfortunately walking back to the car she spotted a rabbit and like a Wally I didn’t have my hand through the lead and she m...
by Fullers1845
Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:37 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Reluctant hunting/quartering
Replies: 8
Views: 1027

Re: Reluctant hunting/quartering

Well I kind of had a mix bag of luck this afternoon, early on she chased a rabbit into a hawthorn hedge but once it had gone she recalled on the whistle. Rather than get myself wound up I put her back on the lead and took her a couple of fields over where she hunted really well in light cover for th...