Search found 20 matches

by SoupDragon
Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:48 am
Forum: Gundog Gear etc.
Topic: Use of red blanks?
Replies: 4
Views: 4130

Re: Use of red blanks?

Thanks for the reply. just what i wanted to know. Ive sent for the Lucky 2 launcher which has a stock. If anyone is in the process of thinking of buying I had it off Dog and Field for £171 (10% discount code) which was significantly cheaper than anything else out there.
by SoupDragon
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 pm
Forum: Gundog Gear etc.
Topic: Use of red blanks?
Replies: 4
Views: 4130

Use of red blanks?

I have sent for a new Dummy launcher, I only previously used them with a group. How detrimental is the occasional use of the long-range blanks to its working lifespan? Something not to worry about? use sparingly? or not at all? I sent for the banks already and had a good deal on 3 boxes (each colour...
by SoupDragon
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:23 am
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Correction before command?
Replies: 12
Views: 36455

Correction before command?

I was recently watching some YouTube vids and came across a Bill Hillman (USA) video, How to Create a Fast Whistle. Basically the dog was yanked (no pun intended) then given the sit command. Having watched other American based training with use of the shock collar they seem to give the "nick&qu...
by SoupDragon
Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:05 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: First walks
Replies: 22
Views: 7916

Re: First walks

There is no science, there are only opinions. some of those opinions are expressed through badly written articles and some are expressed through well written articles, the eloquence of the debate is almost an irrelevance to the truth, it is however relevant to how many people believe it to be true. .
by SoupDragon
Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:15 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: First walks
Replies: 22
Views: 7916

Re: First walks

Must admit im not a particularly knowledgeable about the training of gundogs although I'm presently trying to train 2.I dont really see that this subject as anything to do with training so ill dip a toe in. I have though, for many years been interested in coaching sport and the science of skill acqu...
by SoupDragon
Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:33 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Increasing a young dogs passion for the dummy?.
Replies: 6
Views: 1667

Re: Increasing a young dogs passion for the dummy?.

Happy with my progress with the young bitch (now 8mnths), she will do memory retrieves and is very steady, return to hand is spot on. She doesn't refuse a retrieve. I can directionally indicate which of 3 bumpers I want to be picked up and she does it. I don't want to do much more or make it more co...
by SoupDragon
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:59 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Increasing a young dogs passion for the dummy?.
Replies: 6
Views: 1667

Re: Increasing a young dogs passion for the dummy?.

The bitch is switching her energy into the training now and returning plenty of dummies without a problem. The foundation work was done so that her sit stay was solid as was her heel work, I can sit her walk away throw the dummy, return, and send her. Steadiness is not a problem and she will return ...
by SoupDragon
Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:34 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Should I pause general retrieving work during hold conditioning.?
Replies: 28
Views: 44786

Re: Should I pause general retrieving work during hold conditioning.?

Just wondering if you’ve done the preliminary work on training handling skills for blind retrieves. The very basic used to be what we called the three card trick, not sure what it’s called now! 😅 But there are also T drills and wagon wheel drills that teach the dog the necessary cues, both vocal an...
by SoupDragon
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:13 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Should I pause general retrieving work during hold conditioning.?
Replies: 28
Views: 44786

Re: Should I pause general retrieving work during hold conditioning.?

Thanks for the clear answer PRH, and thanks for the "20 yds" advice, it puts the pieces together in my head.
by SoupDragon
Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:19 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Should I pause general retrieving work during hold conditioning.?
Replies: 28
Views: 44786

Re: Should I pause general retrieving work during hold conditioning.?

If I'm sending the dog out on a blind retrieve and within yards I can see she's not taking the line that ive set out to send her on, am I correct in stopping her straight away, resetting her, and sending her again? Sorry for all these questions but I have no one else to ask except YouTube :) Also I ...