Search found 1666 matches

by Cass
Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:57 pm
Forum: General/Other
Topic: New puppy straight to kennel or crate trained?
Replies: 8
Views: 7699

Re: New puppy straight to kennel or crate trained?

alan250582 wrote: ↑Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:15 am Straight in at 8 weeks old?
Any advice on getting pup to settle the first night?
It won't. Put it in another room where you can get some peace from it. Some pups are quicker to settle down than others but you can guarantee the first night will be brutal.
by Cass
Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:09 pm
Forum: Photos
Topic: Warm start to the season
Replies: 4
Views: 4897

Re: Warm start to the season

Judy wrote: ↑Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:55 am TEN YEARS?!! Blimey, I remember you going to get him as a pup.
I know! So crazy!
by Cass
Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:08 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Should I pause general retrieving work during hold conditioning.?
Replies: 28
Views: 44774

Re: Should I pause general retrieving work during hold conditioning.?

Cut out all other retrieving. The lesson she needs to learn right now is hold. If you keep throwing retrieves for her outside of your hold sessions then she'll most likely revert to spitting it out like she was doing. She's a lab, she won't lose her desire to retrieve. Spend the time and do it right.
by Cass
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:31 am
Forum: Photos
Topic: Warm start to the season
Replies: 4
Views: 4897

Re: Warm start to the season

I've been running the pup solo since the season started as it's her first season and between work and the kids my time is limited. Yesterday I decided to run both dogs together. Literally 10 years to the day when I shot my first grouse over Jake the old man put on a show. He had this beauty young re...
by Cass
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:25 am
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: It's all about the training!
Replies: 654
Views: 134349

Re: It's all about the training!

Just an observation but generally I find bitches are more reluctant to hand over whatever prize they have picked up than dogs, who seem quite happy to give them to me if I ask, almost as a way of communicating with me. This bitch pup I'm working on right now definitely matches your sentiments. Shot...
by Cass
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:46 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Keeping focus on me when on walk
Replies: 9
Views: 3276

Re: Keeping focus on me when on walk

Unless you're hunting for yourself, the dog should be more focused on its surroundings than you. That's not to say it blows you off when you give it a command or hit the whistle..... but until then it should be doing its thing and seeking game.
by Cass
Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:42 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: It's all about the training!
Replies: 654
Views: 134349

Re: It's all about the training!

I think you're micromanaging that poor dog. Who cares if it wants to carry a stick? Sometimes you need to let a dog be a dog. After all, it's the best version of them. They're not meant to be robots.
by Cass
Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:53 pm
Forum: Photos
Topic: Warm start to the season
Replies: 4
Views: 4897

Warm start to the season

Well the next 3 days are supposed to be hovering around 30C here... what a poor excuse for an October! Hopefully it cools down soon so the woodcock start migrating. It's been crazy dry, hard to find even a puddle for the dogs to cool off in these days. https://www.michigan-sportsman.com/media/202309...
by Cass
Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:50 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Picking a Pup
Replies: 6
Views: 1852

Re: Picking a Pup

Most likely you'll end up with a flushing spaniel that likes to push boundaries. Sounds like my kinda dog lol. It's a crap shoot at 8 weeks... pick the cutest one.
by Cass
Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:37 pm
Forum: Working Gundogs
Topic: When to retire ?
Replies: 31
Views: 49332

Re: When to retire ?

She could just be out of shape. One thing I have noticed as mine gets older is that conditioning needs to be given appropriate thought and effort. I'm sure even in her younger years you could probably notice a difference in her stamina at the beginning of the season as opposed to the last half of th...