Search found 45 matches

by nanalander
Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:04 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Trouble with Hamish
Replies: 216
Views: 95097

Re: Trouble with Hamish

Always great to read about Hamish.
Wonderful photos, love Hamish in his office, those super intelligent eyes. That would be one for a frame CC!
by nanalander
Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:28 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: No wheels on my wagon.
Replies: 60
Views: 32709

Re: No wheels on my wagon.

Thank you for your post Wullie, even though we don't want to hear it, it is the truth of the situation and you wrote it yourself. I can honestly say you have been a huge inspiration to me with your no nonsense posts and humour. I wish I could have met you when you did hpr classes, but it wasn't goin...
by nanalander
Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:21 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Pups... do’s don’ts and anything in between
Replies: 43
Views: 15879

Re: Pups... do’s don’ts and anything in between

This is almost the exact same scenario I had when I bought home an eight week old bitch into a house with an eleven year old and a three year old, both neutered dogs. All Large Munsterlanders. The first time she did it, the barking, and wanting to play rough with the three year old , I said to her '...
by nanalander
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:09 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: What they grow up with
Replies: 18
Views: 4255

Re: What they grow up with

Maybe it is a breed characteristic in certain lines? I have a talking one, but then he talks to everyone all the time, and not just when hunting. My others have been fairly quiet, same lines. I often have to introduce people to the Large Munsterlander, and one lady repeated back to me ' oh a Large M...
by nanalander
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:39 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: Bear Bells
Replies: 4
Views: 1644

Bear Bells

Two HPR, one young bitch of two and another male of five. Both LM. Both 'pets'. Was just reading about Judy, and her love / hate relationship with the 'long line', and it reminded me that on forest walks, and round here I'm surrounded by forest in every direction, I use bear bells on their collars, ...
by nanalander
Mon May 25, 2020 11:18 am
Forum: Working Gundogs
Topic: Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla ... first impressions
Replies: 21
Views: 73071

Re: Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla ... first impressions

Lovely read, and a good insight into your first year with her. Very interesting indeed, re the different hunting and pointing styles compared to the gsp. Lovely looking young bitch with a proper wiry coat by the looks of her.
by nanalander
Wed May 20, 2020 3:08 pm
Forum: Health & Feeding
Topic: How many meals a day?
Replies: 28
Views: 11598

Re: How many meals a day?

Daily ration split into two with my three. Fed after exercise in the morning. Again after they have been walked and we have eaten our evening meal. Personally with my breed I would never exercise after food. Training seems easier with an unfed dog, always eager to comply in case a treat might be in ...
by nanalander
Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:51 pm
Forum: Training Gundogs
Topic: My Crazy Dogs are Keeping Me Sane.
Replies: 9
Views: 1256

Re: My Crazy Dogs are Keeping Me Sane.

Love the title of this thread. I would say our dogs are a great source of comfort in these strange and troubling times. Keep it going CC, always great to read about you and your dogs. Here in the UK we are allowed and hour of exercise, so,I hurry quickly walking to the arable farmland, tracks and wo...
by nanalander
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:32 am
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Whats happened to this forum?
Replies: 94
Views: 15316

Re: Whats happened to this forum?

Yes, I also CC would be very interested to hear what you are doing with your dogs, as I am trying to entertain three Munsters on a patio, the rest of the garden being out of action due to all the lawn being re seeded.
by nanalander
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:39 pm
Forum: General Chat
Topic: Firsts of the season
Replies: 33
Views: 8316

Re: Firsts of the season

Well here in the north Midlands it has been a soggy few months, I have been keeping the dogs on higher ground, and stubble (still), conifer plantations. Great ravines have opened up on winter wheat fields and the sand has separated from the very poor soil, and left stones and a grey dust that dries ...