Prices

Any other gundog related questions, problems, etc.
Dartmoordog
Dogs: Monty (Sprocker) Steeno (ESS)

Re: Prices

Post by Dartmoordog » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:43 pm

It is a mad world Terry.

There are two Cockerpoos, mongrels, on one of the shoots I attend, both useless and bad tempered. Even towards their owner!

I would not have the rubbish if it was free and the food paid for......Sorry, but speak as you find.
Be careful what you say about my wife or kids, be VERY careful what you say about my gundogs.

ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Post by ips » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:27 am

I paid £600 in Jan 15 (although she was six months so not sure if that counts for this topic). She had not been touched as far as training goes. She was chipped and docked but not sure about any health testing, pedigree is good (apparently) with 34 fetch in five gen a lot of mallowdale and some other notable names.
I considered it a reasonable amount given the price of some current x breeds with posh made up names.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

Nickheref

Post by Nickheref » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:30 am

I realised that there is a major fundamental difference between me and the average uk dog owner the other day whilst being forced to watch a bit of BRITAIN'S 100 BEST DOGS or some such crap, it is simply this - when I get a pup I am getting a prospect, a dog I hope will become a gundog, as such £800 for a pup who becomes a favourite, brilliant gundog and is out with me for 8 or so seasons is cheap, £400 for one who is a poor gundog is too much whatever the "quality" of the breeding of either. Others have written about the number of pups some of the pros go through to find the one they want to campaign on the trial circuit, whatever the breeding some pups simply haven't got what you need them to have.
The difference between me (and I am sure many others on here) and the average dog owner is that they want a cockerpoo, weimaraner, great dane etc and having paid for the pup they have got what they wanted, it doesn't have to do anything other than hopefully live a reasonably healthy life. We on the other hand having got our pup have bought a ticket in the lottery of genetics and think perhaps that by paying a lot for a pup we have increased our chance of winning.
I think this may also explain why I see a lot of useless dogs out shooting, it was bred as a gundog and therefore in the eyes of the owner it must be one as that is what they bought even though it demonstrates every day that it isn't (although training may have something to do with that!).
The problem is I have had my fair share of the good pups at cheap prices and my fair share of the poor pups at big money. You only know if they were the right price later! :lol:

EssGrouse

Post by EssGrouse » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:44 am

That's why a few big kennels have now put their stud fee up to £500. Rightly so.
Without commitment, you'll never start but more importantly, without consistency, you'll never finish.

trekmoor
Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Post by trekmoor » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:07 pm

I just took a quick look at a "Gundog" puppy for sale site. £1000 per pup was being asked for a done nothing lab bitch mated to a done nothing lab dog. I nearly fell of my perch and popped my clogs ! Even worse was the ads for cockapoos and sprockers. I have nothing against sprockers but I would not pay £850 for a puppy of that breeding .

We seem to be in a vicious circle with puppy prices. The owners of done nothing bitches see the prices of really well bred pups being sold so they ask for - and get - the same. The quality dog breeders then see that "rubbish" is being sold for the same prices as their pups so they put their prices up .....so the "rubbish" breeders raise their prices again .

The real blame for this lies with the puppy buying general public who don't know the difference between quality and "so-so" pups and will pay just as much to buy a "so-so" puppy.

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.

Dawnrazor

Post by Dawnrazor » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:58 pm

There's a litter of Springer pups on a site just now.
Dam - Done nothing but if from a fashionable and successful bitch line.
Sire - Done nothing but is a "fantastic working dog".
Price?............... £900!!!!!
I nearly phoned the guy a dog told him to have a feckin word with his self.

Nickheref

Post by Nickheref » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:18 am

I know someone who is considering having a litter of labs out of a bitch that to my certain knowledge has never picked a warm pheasant or had a shot fired near her, when I asked "why" he told me that she was a good dog!!
Fantastic working dog means different things to different people. The irony is I actually think she might have been a pretty decent dog in different hands but he has no idea what a "good dog" is and she has never been tested on the real thing.

westcountry
Dogs: Six springers and Marcie.

Post by westcountry » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:01 pm

Nickheref wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:18 am
I know someone who is considering having a litter of labs out of a bitch that to my certain knowledge has never picked a warm pheasant or had a shot fired near her, when I asked "why" he told me that she was a good dog!!
Fantastic working dog means different things to different people. The irony is I actually think she might have been a pretty decent dog in different hands but he has no idea what a "good dog" is and she has never been tested on the real thing.
This is so true of so many people with so called gundogs. I know a chap who says his bitch is his dog of a lifetime,the best he has ever had. It will not retrieve,has never answered the whistle(man doesnt have one) and it barks excitedly at the start of every drive. And you have guessed it,he is breeding from it. :brickwall:
Please form an orderly queue!

Cass
Dogs: Lily (Dachshund) & Jake (Cocker)

Post by Cass » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:39 pm

Nickheref wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:18 am

Fantastic working dog means different things to different people.
This is on point in so many ways. We all think our dogs are the best because they're ours. Those who trial more have a better understanding of their own dog's shortcomings but for the average hunter what you have is all you know or you compare to past dogs you've owned. I have hunted with more than a few people who have bragged up their dogs and were more than eager to show them off when they found out I too had a hunting dog. These have all been in waterfowl situations and as such always involve labs. When I show up with my cocker after the initial "what the heck kind of a mix is that?" questions subside (working cockers are quite uncommon here) then it usually turns to jokes about my little "foo-foo" dog and how the birds will be bigger than him. On more than one occasion I have been in this position while hunting Canada geese. They are right - the birds are almost bigger than he is. But on these hunts too - one in particular that was a great memory where I was hunting with a guy who had a toller and another who had 2 labs with him. We shot a full 3 man limit - 15 geese which except for 1 that fell at my feet my dog retrieved all of. The other dogs wouldn't even attempt to pick up the big birds. I think my guy is a great hunting dog but on the flip side I have also seen others that are better than he is. I routinely hunt with a friend who is very successful in retriever trials and his dogs are absolutely mesmerizing. I think it's good to be proud of your dog and put it up on a pedestal a bit - We dedicate lots of time to get them to whatever level they are. But it is a very subjective practice and some people simply don't know what they don't know.
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Dawnrazor

Post by Dawnrazor » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Someone on faceache selling weimaraner x cockers, £650!!!!