KC documentation on picking up a puppy?

Any other gundog related questions, problems, etc.
LotusMartin
Dogs: Whisky

Re: KC documentation on picking up a puppy?

Post by LotusMartin » Mon May 14, 2018 2:48 am

Sgurr wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 6:27 pm
Only the breeder can Register the litter - take the form if you want to but if you get it signed by the breeder you will have to pay for the Registration of the full litter if you want to send the form in yourself.
Better to get them to Register on line if they have not already sent a form in.
Getting a Kennel Name can take a while, yes.

But this breeder has had six weeks to get the paperwork under control (most don't Register a litter until sure the pups are doing well at about 2 weeks.

I would suggest you do not take the pup without the paper work, collect it later if you really want it.

Is the breeding so good and the health tests that you do not want to walk away from this pup?
I’m sure you know how it is. You wait 8 weeks to collect the little mite, get weekly photos, get everything ready only to be told a few days before that ‘we’ll mail you the documents ‘. I really don’t want to delay it as my partner and I have a couple of weeks at home to help settle him in nicely.

Honestly the couple we’re buying from are super nice, and I do trust them. I guess my expectation was that at 11 1/2 weeks old the paperwork would have been sorted.

Judy
Co-Admin

Post by Judy » Mon May 14, 2018 9:13 am

If the pup is that old I would walk away, something doesn't sound right. Eight weeks is a good time to pick up a pup and the paperwork should be back by then. Has 'your' pup had both its jabs? I would want mine fully vaccinated by 11 weeks ready to go out into the big wide world shortly after that age. Alternatively tell them you'll pay half now and half when the paperwork comes through. That way you will at least have paid a fair price for an unregistered pup if they are pulling a fast one.
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.

trekmoor
Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Post by trekmoor » Mon May 14, 2018 12:25 pm

I agree with Judy. Something doesn't sound quite right. I also think she is right in advising you to offer to pay half now and half when the documentation turns up.

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.

Gundogs11
Dogs: Labs, springers and cockers

Post by Gundogs11 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:06 pm

When we had our first litter it took nearly 6 weeks to get our Kennel name sorted. I (daftly) had waited until the pups were two weeks old before starting the process. I was really panicing that the paperwork would not come through in time. If a recall it came through a few days before the first pup went- phew!
It does sound fishy, but could you give the breeder a call and ask them to expain what the situation is?

Nickheref

Post by Nickheref » Mon May 21, 2018 8:20 am

Would you let us know what happened please.

LotusMartin

Post by LotusMartin » Mon May 21, 2018 8:45 am

Bottom line is I picked him up and paid in full on Saturday. There is no paperwork from The KC at this point but I've spoken to them and they checked both Sire and Dam on their database and said there's no reason why a litter wouldn't be successfully registered (Dams age/previous litters). They could not give me any information on the progress or even receipt of registration unfortunately - not that they hadn't received it, just that they had no way of finding it amongst the mountains of applications - sounds like an awesome system!!

He is an absolutely cracking fella, easily the pick of the litter with perfect pedigree baring in mind what I'll be training him for. I spoke at length with the breeders and since this is their first litter they have struggled a lot with The KC who sound pretty appalling to deal with.

I printed out seller/buyer contracts from the KC site and added notes that Pedigree registration documents would follow by registered post. I totally understand that there is a big risk here for me as I have zero effective comeback, but I figured it wasn't worth making a huge fuss about, they offered me a full refund on my deposit or to keep him a few more weeks if I wanted until the paperwork arrives, but we wanted him home with us before he gets too old and can enjoy his puppyhood here. Like I said the breeders are just starting out and are very close to a very well know breeder/trainer who recommended them to me, and I know their intention is to become breeders/trainers and are not about to risk their reputation at this early stage.

He's had a lovely weekend here in Devon, slept on my wifes lap all the way home and has been playing in the sun with us all weekend. He's kennelled in our barn at night and in a huge pen with kennel in the garden I built for him - he's initially not enjoying being on his own much but quickly settles, which is all absolutely normal and to be expected when he's always been with his littermates. Honestly we couldn't have wished for a better behaved puppy with a marvellous temperament. He recalls to name, has great drive and surprisingly retrieves to hand given he's not had much ball play so far. I know there is a long way to go but all the signs are good and he's a little cracker.

I'll certainly update when the paperwork does arrive!

Jelinga
Dogs: Drift and Rourke

Post by Jelinga » Mon May 21, 2018 8:54 am

If you are home for two weeks, don't you want the puppy to be with you more so that you bond, rather than be in a kennel at such a young age? I know not all agree with me!

LotusMartin

Post by LotusMartin » Mon May 21, 2018 9:36 am

Jelinga wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:54 am
If you are home for two weeks, don't you want the puppy to be with you more so that you bond, rather than be in a kennel at such a young age? I know not all agree with me!
I work from home most of the time so he's in the kennel at night and mostly in the pen in the garden which I overlook from my office or I'm out playing with him (every hour or so). When I say 'home for two weeks' I mean we're on 'homeliday' so he's in the garden with us all day. I definitely don't want to miss this opportunity to bond with him - so glad the weather is glorious.

He's sitting in the shade under the bench:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nickheref

Post by Nickheref » Mon May 21, 2018 9:44 am

Hope all goes well, it sounds more cock up rather than conspiracy. It is a long time since I registered a litter, it's a lot easier owning the sire and rocking up for the pick of the litter a few months later :lol: but it might be helpful if we had a thread from some who do it regularly to point out the pitfalls of registration.