Neutering

Any other gundog related questions, problems, etc.
CockerCanuck
Member
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:56 pm
Dogs: Ruadh, Fergal, Hamish
Location: SW Ontario, Canada

Re: Neutering

Post by CockerCanuck » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:12 pm

I have never neutered a male dog in over 60 years of living with them and about a dozen male gundogs. However I am considering it with my young male Chesapeake. As I have posted in other threads he has hip dysplasia. He is doing very well after surgery but obviously, despite his wonderful disposition, he should never be bred from. I am going to leave it for a while because he tends to be kind of slim and "leggy" for the breed and I would like to see him muscle up more both for appearances and to help support the weak joint. I think the removable source of testosterone will have done all it can for him by age two so will probably have it done a year from now.

westcountry
Member
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 2:54 pm
Dogs: Fluppy,Daniel,Patches,Marsha ,Marcie.

Re: Neutering

Post by westcountry » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:02 pm

Springfield Pointers wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:47 pm
Trialling spaniels is obviously a very different thing to hunting, from what I've seen. We clearly do things a little differently - and besides, this thread is about Neutering...
Yes quite right SP,I simply stated that as my dog wasnt up to the standard I wont breed from him and had him neutered to be able to keep him around our bitches without hassle. I also own his mother and certainly didnt want any accident there. I have found that since neutering there has been no deterioration in his drive,courage or character. he was never aggressive to people or dogs but would stick up for himself if pushed,this has not changed one bit. I was a little concerned about having him done but having seen the result I wouldnt hesitate to neuter any male I wished to keep but not breed from.

Judy
Co-Admin
Posts: 14796
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Kent

Re: Neutering

Post by Judy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:13 pm

CockerCanuck wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:12 pm
I have never neutered a male dog in over 60 years of living with them and about a dozen male gundogs. However I am considering it with my young male Chesapeake. As I have posted in other threads he has hip dysplasia. He is doing very well after surgery but obviously, despite his wonderful disposition, he should never be bred from. I am going to leave it for a while because he tends to be kind of slim and "leggy" for the breed and I would like to see him muscle up more both for appearances and to help support the weak joint. I think the removable source of testosterone will have done all it can for him by age two so will probably have it done a year from now.
Doesn't testosterone encourage muscle mass? In which case would it be better for him to keep his bits?
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.

CockerCanuck
Member
Posts: 468
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:56 pm
Dogs: Ruadh, Fergal, Hamish
Location: SW Ontario, Canada

Re: Neutering

Post by CockerCanuck » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:57 am

Judy wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:13 pm
CockerCanuck wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:12 pm
I have never neutered a male dog in over 60 years of living with them and about a dozen male gundogs. However I am considering it with my young male Chesapeake. As I have posted in other threads he has hip dysplasia. He is doing very well after surgery but obviously, despite his wonderful disposition, he should never be bred from. I am going to leave it for a while because he tends to be kind of slim and "leggy" for the breed and I would like to see him muscle up more both for appearances and to help support the weak joint. I think the removable source of testosterone will have done all it can for him by age two so will probably have it done a year from now.
Doesn't testosterone encourage muscle mass? In which case would it be better for him to keep his bits?
My assumption was that the bits would do all they could for him in this regard by age two. But you could be right Judy, perhaps I should do more research on their life long benefits. He certainly does not need to loose them for his temperament which is quite mild mannered and I don't own an entire bitch at this time. I will do more research before I do anything.

WGD
Member
Posts: 2182
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:41 pm
Dogs: Plenty to keep me occupied

Re: Neutering

Post by WGD » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:08 am

Springfield Pointers wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:47 pm
Trialling spaniels is obviously a very different thing to hunting, from what I've seen. We clearly do things a little differently - and besides, this thread is about Neutering...
What do you think a spaniel does in a trial? And how do you suppose they're trained to find and retrieve game?

A hard going, well schooled and properly conditioned shooting spaniel will win trials.
ATB

WGD

Springfield Pointers
Member
Posts: 3891
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Neutering

Post by Springfield Pointers » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:00 pm

Rather much my point, WGD. ;)

westcountry
Member
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 2:54 pm
Dogs: Fluppy,Daniel,Patches,Marsha ,Marcie.

Re: Neutering

Post by westcountry » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:05 am

WGD is good at what he does and knows his stuff. BUT I will never buy raffle tickets off him again. Dont even think ours were even put in the hat. FIX!

WGD
Member
Posts: 2182
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:41 pm
Dogs: Plenty to keep me occupied

Re: Neutering

Post by WGD » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:53 am

westcountry wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:05 am
WGD is good at what he does and knows his stuff. BUT I will never buy raffle tickets off him again. Dont even think ours were even put in the hat. FIX!
:lol: :lol: :lol: you have to pay extra to actually have the tickets put into the draw :-D
ATB

WGD

westcountry
Member
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 2:54 pm
Dogs: Fluppy,Daniel,Patches,Marsha ,Marcie.

Re: Neutering

Post by westcountry » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:00 am

Was good to meet you anyway,even though it cost us £10 .

Post Reply