Puppy digging in water bowl

Any other gundog related questions, problems, etc.
nanalander

Puppy digging in water bowl

Post by nanalander » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:26 pm

Eleven week old LM trying to dig out the contents of her water bowl, not sure it's just for the hell of it, or because there may be a speck she can see in it. It's a medium spaniel bowl to try to keep her ears dry. However dry the ears may be the rest of the kitchen is a swimming pool. I've never seen this in a puppy, and apart from an appropriate correction when I catch her doing it is there anything else I could try? Has anyone else had a pup like this....I know it's just play...but it's just so messy !

newf

Re: Puppy digging in water bowl

Post by newf » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:56 pm

Either one of your guesses could be right but it doesn’t really matter in how one changes behavior. Have the water available only when you’re present. When the behavior occurs, say ‘no’ and correct every time it reveals itself. After every correction and the pup stops the action by either milling around the bowl or just drinking, say ‘good’ and toss a treat near the bowl.

If you don’t want to do that then think about setting up a water dispenser made for kennels. Since the pup is young, he may grow out of the behavior later down the road. Then again, he could move the behavior to the available food bowl. :roll: :lol:

nanalander

Post by nanalander » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:26 pm

Yes I will try to be more vigilant, she follows me everywhere so will see me replace the bowl if I have lifted it up previously.
When I have caught her water digging before I had said a firm 'hey NO' and lifted her away, then she has sat down and just looked at me. For some season I hadn't thought of giving her a treat, near the bowl, only because I thought I was rewarding the water digging. Well, a water dispenser would work as I've seen her drinking from the outside tap when it's on a trickle.
Thanks for your input.

Springcopse spaniels

Post by Springcopse spaniels » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:14 pm

Buy a travel bowl with s float, it adjusts to the depth of water but only allows for small laps of water
A well schooled dog will open doors, a poor one closes them quickly.

munstyman

Post by munstyman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:18 am

LMAO Its a Munsterlander, were you not told of their liking for water? :lol:
Put the water bowl outside, she'll probably grow out of it ( not :whistle: ) In the mean time it'll keep the house tidy till you grow out of it. :lol: :lol:
Wait till she finds muddy puddles and wallows :doh:

Springfield Pointers

Post by Springfield Pointers » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:40 am

Just put the water bowl outside.

nanalander

Post by nanalander » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:44 am

Thanks everyone. Bucket outside, multi dog household so must leave water inside for old boy. Check out the travel bowl too. Yes munstyman I know what they are like, and accept that they have many more shampoos than I do for the serious amount of fox poo and mud holes that must be frequently investigated. Daily!

Judy
Co-Admin

Post by Judy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:05 am

I had a Flatcoat that loved putting her head under the water and swooshing it from side to side I put the water bowl in a large washing up bowl. Its still inside the washing up bowl 20 years later because it has the added advantage of forcing the dog to raise its head as it leaves the bowl thus saving a lot of the dribbles, those that do escape are mostly captured by the bigger bowl.
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.

trekmoor
Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Post by trekmoor » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:24 pm

The springer and the lab I have here at present would both do the digging in the water bowl thing when they were youngsters . They both grew out of that habit by about 10 months to 14 months old. The kitchen floor did get very wet but my housemaid soon cleaned it up . :whistle:

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.

munstyman

Post by munstyman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:01 pm

Shampoo ? :shock:
If mine roll in something or wallow they get taken to the nearest river and told to cross it several times :think: Hmm Naj might say that's positively reinforcing the unwanted behaviour :naughty: :lol: Or when they get home the hose pipe gets turned on them :think: hmm That might be called delayed negative reinforcement ( But it would have been marked at the time of rolling by words along the line of ` you naughty doggy' :angel: )
Once again, learn to read the dog and you can pre-empt that glint in their eye and re-call or distract, ( water bowl digging or rolling ) which for all but the most `accurate, hit first time ' rollers can save you a lot of extra cleaning of the dog and the house....although two tone walls you get use too :lol:
On a more serious note, you must consider that Munsters are very good communicators, even if they don't get it right they can make associations. :think: If you are not actively training things in games in this 8-12 week period, that young mind will be looking at ways to manipulate more attention or just to get a reaction ;) . ( I noticed jumping up was also an issue you mentioned in another thread ;) ) By twelve weeks I would expect mine to have a good grasp of the basic voice, hand and some whistle commands in and around the house and garden. Many will be based around the feed times, so mine would have little opportunity or need to dig in the water bowl :idea: , unless they were too hot ( I rarely use my central heating so that rules that out for mine :lol: )
If my current `head full of bubbles' can manage to offer me all these behaviours in this period , you should easily have them established using either regular methods of training. If you haven't, take this as a nudge to get cracking :think: