The ideal shoot

Any other gundog related questions, problems, etc.
PRH
Dogs: 2 labs

Re: The ideal shoot

Post by PRH » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:57 pm

I shoot over my dogs at home, where we have 70 odd acres of ground, split roughly 50 grazing (with nice thick hedging) and 20 of woodland in 3 distinct blocks. The land is quite steep which makes it interesting. On New Years Eve I went out with my son and both dogs and we both had a cock pheasant each, after about an hour. Next year we are planning to put a pen in the bottom wood and feed up the bank. It will be just for me and my son and primarily to train and enjoy the odd morning walk around before the Autumn internationals!

The less people involved the better, it keeps it simple and you don’t need to answer to anyone.

Springcopse spaniels

Post by Springcopse spaniels » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:00 pm

PRH wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:57 pm
The less people involved the better, it keeps it simple and you don’t need to answer to anyone.
And that, says it all.
A well schooled dog will open doors, a poor one closes them quickly.

ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Post by ips » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:14 pm

PRH wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:57 pm
I shoot over my dogs at home, where we have 70 odd acres of ground, split roughly 50 grazing (with nice thick hedging) and 20 of woodland in 3 distinct blocks. The land is quite steep which makes it interesting. On New Years Eve I went out with my son and both dogs and we both had a cock pheasant each, after about an hour. Next year we are planning to put a pen in the bottom wood and feed up the bank. It will be just for me and my son and primarily to train and enjoy the odd morning walk around before the Autumn internationals!

Sounds ideal 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

PRH

Post by PRH » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:11 pm

I just wish I'd done something when we moved there 12 years ago, it would be a nicely established little rough shoot by now. Still, got to start somewhere :)

hily
Dogs: polly, maisey, smudge and Dotty.

Post by hily » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:19 pm

I joined a syndicate because of the ground it held plenty of rabbits and could be shot over all year round .When the syndicate folded they owed
the farmer rent . As I did the vermin control for the syndicate ( ferreting rabbits branching crows sorting out the pigeons and so on but mostly shooting bunnies over the dogs) the farmer offered me the shooting rights for free. But as I knew someone could come along and offer pound notes to the farmer I decided to pay rent the only way I could afford this was to organise a pheasant syndicate and share the cost. So now I have just under 3000 acres to roam with my dogs and share this 8 to 12 days a year with the syndicate . During the shooting season we walk and stand one sat then the next sat feed up and then rough shoot .As many will know most syndicate members don't like or can't turn up to feed the shoot so its me the spaniels and one or two pals on these feed up Saturdays.So Iwas lucky but what I am suggesting is look around all syndicates that you can travel to that have vacancies and have a frank discussion with the shoot captain as to what you will be aloud to do ref dog training.

Dawnrazor

Post by Dawnrazor » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:25 pm

I'd settle for some guns that could hit things, set to end the season with a 1 in 9 shot to bird ratio!!

ips

Post by ips » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:36 pm

Dawnrazor wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:25 pm
I'd settle for some guns that could hit things, set to end the season with a 1 in 9 shot to bird ratio!!
Didnt realise i had a day booked with you 😀

Springcopse spaniels

Post by Springcopse spaniels » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:31 pm

Dawnrazor wrote:
:whistle: :whistle: :think: :doh:
Anybody would think they are difficult birds or summit!
A well schooled dog will open doors, a poor one closes them quickly.

PRH

Post by PRH » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:32 pm

Dawnrazor wrote:
I see a bit of that but it can be down to having a team of guns who try to outdo each other in the ‘I’m only shooting the really tall stuff’ stakes, as if it is a sign of weakness to shoot a good bird at 40-45 yds. If it is a cracking team then fair enough, but more often than not it’s not and you end up with a daft ratio, 9-1 with a good number pricked.

ips

Post by ips » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:58 pm

That ratio is easily done by an inexperienced team on a day when the birds fly well.