Bravecto

Any health / feeding questions - remember this is no substitute for the Vet!
Forum rules
There is no substitute to visiting your Vet - he has the knowledge and experience and can see/feel/smell your dog and advise accordingly. Please apply your own judgement and common sense to any advice given. What works for one dog might not work for another. If you are in any doubt please visit your Vet! General Forum Rules
Dartmoordog
Dogs: Monty (Sprocker) Steeno (ESS) coming soo

Bravecto

Post by Dartmoordog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:45 pm

Has anyone used Bravecto Tick and flea treatment, if so how do you rate it.

It was being discussed in our Shoot room last week, and those that now use it rate it highly.

Thoughts please.

Cheers
Be careful what you say about my wife or kids, be VERY careful what you say about my gundogs.

scotsgent
Dogs: "Ginny" - Cocker Spaniel

Re: Bravecto

Post by scotsgent » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:30 pm

All that glitters is not gold!

https://vitalanimal.com/bravecto/

Cheers, Terry

Miesque
Dogs: Dan (ESS), Archie (Lurcher), Zou (ESS)

Post by Miesque » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:05 pm

I use it - no issues. It's one of the few that Gves good protection against Babesia canis as the ticks are killed within twelve hours of attachment unlike some older generation drugs.

The social media scaremongering campaign took off to such an extent that an independant European audit was carried out to assess the reports of adverse reactions to Bravecto - it concluded that there was no evidence it was causing more adverse reactions than any other drug on the market. I've yet to actually meet anyone with a PM report identifying a reaction to Bravecto as a probable cause of death, just lots of people whose friends friends dog reacted type stuff.

Dartmoordog

Post by Dartmoordog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:55 pm

scotsgent wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:30 pm
All that glitters is not gold!

https://vitalanimal.com/bravecto/

Cheers, Terry
Thanks for the link Terry. I must confess I would take it with a pinch of salt, they have a commercial interest in the product getting a bad name.

Cheers.
Be careful what you say about my wife or kids, be VERY careful what you say about my gundogs.

scotsgent

Post by scotsgent » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:56 pm

You are probably right. However, the idea of a 'pesticide' permanently staying in the bloodstream of the dog and thereby killing ticks and fleas makes me slightly uneasy - just sayin'!

Are fleas a big issue?

Cheers, Terry

PS - I know most gundog owners wouldn't be seen dead with a collar, but the 'scalibor' collars are very, very effective.

Springfield Pointers

Post by Springfield Pointers » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:28 am

Never liked collars on my dogs. I believed it compromised their abilities. Further to that, I agree with Scotsgent.

Dartmoordog

Post by Dartmoordog » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:27 am

Are worming tablets not pesticides?

Aimeetess
Dogs: Cocker

Post by Aimeetess » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:20 am

We gave ours Bravecto a couple of times, she was always very lethargic and had a very upset stomach, it was always within a day of having the tablet. After doing some online research, and then finding a Facebook group with over 42,000 members we stopped giving it to her. I know a lot of it may be rubbish.. but after reading thousands of posts from across the world of dogs apparently dying from it or becoming very ill, we didn't want to chance it.

We now give our lab, collie and cocker advocate and worm them separately 3 monthly as they're at the farm a lot, we have never had a problem with ticks even though advocate doesn't kill ticks but if we do they wear a tick collar in summer (they aren't keen as they don't wear a collar) but it does the job.
Last edited by Aimeetess on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scotsgent

Post by scotsgent » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:33 am

I suppose a worming tablet flushes the intestine, (I'm not sure it enters the blood stream, though it might?). Its in the dog for 24 hours at most

But the Bravecto is in the dogs blood stream for the period of efficacy; ie 12 weeks and if its then re-treated it's for another 12 weeks, etc. etc. thus its permanently there.

I no nothing about these things really, but I'd need to be reassured before I used it.

Question number 1 for me would be "what is the chemical and is there any evidence that long term useage is harmless"?

Long term, remember would be every day for the dog's life, (wouldn't it? - assuming you wanted year round flea protection - though for ticks probably only the summer months?))

Just out of interest, the tick season in the UK is the summer months so outside the usual working season, so a collar might not be such a big deal?, (though I freely admit that plenty of folks wouldn't like a collar, even for safety reasons).

Incidentally the Scalibor collar is the tool of choice in Spain and southern France where sand-flies carry leishmaniosis, (fatal disease).

Its also easy to modify the collar by splicing a wee section of light shock cord into it, in the event of entrapment, the collar should pull off.

Cheers, Terry

Dartmoordog

Post by Dartmoordog » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:40 am

Ticks are a huge issue here in Devon, especially on Dartmoor, so a good effective tick treatment is absolutely essential. Lyme is real! It is not just a summer issue either, I would go as far as to say they are a year round issue here in the milder climate.

Advantix wears off after a month or so, and as soon as it does the ticks are on, a real worry. I have also heard of dog owners saying their dogs react to other treatments, they are all Pesticides and they all enter the body of the dog.

Hence my enquiry regarding Bravecto.

As a slight aside, I very recently spoke to a keeper in West Devon, he told me he removed 7 ticks from himself recently, in one go, all around his mid-rift. He now cannot wear the same cloths for two days in a row such is the problem......It only takes one infected Tick!