Salmon oil amounts?

Any health / feeding questions - remember this is no substitute for the Vet!
Forum rules
There is no substitute to visiting your Vet - he has the knowledge and experience and can see/feel/smell your dog and advise accordingly. Please apply your own judgement and common sense to any advice given. What works for one dog might not work for another. If you are in any doubt please visit your Vet! General Forum Rules
Nickheref

Re: Salmon oil amounts?

Post by Nickheref » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:38 pm

munstyman wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:23 am
Is it this one Nick?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... oxins.html

I feed the dog a can or two of cheap Morrisons sardines a week with her food and her coat shines and the dirt just drops of....in the house like all my other munsters have :roll: I know I am probably taking the food out of baby humpbacks mouths, so I'm probably off Greenpeace's Christmas list.
:think:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Actually the Financial Times had a very good article, can't hang around, off to cuddle badgers!

Springfield Pointers

Post by Springfield Pointers » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:06 pm

Soon they'll be telling us that water is bad for us...

Judy

Post by Judy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:13 pm

It is! Unless it comes out of plastic bottles of course.
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.

Springfield Pointers

Post by Springfield Pointers » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:47 pm

Plastic bottles are bad too - leaching, dontcha know. Glass is the new stuff.

Miesque
Dogs: Dan (ESS), Archie (Lurcher), Zou (ESS)

Post by Miesque » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:32 pm

It's possible to get wild salmon oil - nutrivet do it

Judy

Post by Judy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 am

How much should you give a pup? If indeed you should be giving any supplements to a pup on a well balanced diet. Personally I wouldn't be giving extra fats at that age, a pup doesn't usually need more energy!
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.

munstyman

Post by munstyman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:07 pm

Have to agree Judy, the op did say the dog was on a quality ( puppy?) kibble, and should not need supplements. However its the dog that eats it, and if adding fish oil gave an improvement in coat condition, I would argue that the op needs to change his `opinion' ;)
Much has been said about `training the dog in front of you', I would suggest that could be held over to feeding too, no one regime fits all, and quality label does not mean quality ingredients which the ` individual' dog can utilise. :think:

Scstevo
Dogs: Freddie

Post by Scstevo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:32 pm

Thanks for the replies. Definitely food for thought!

Regarding the kibble I was in the process of changing foods from a good one to a better one so possibly it was the better kibble that changed the coat.

Even still, how is adding a small amount (2-4ml) of fish oil a bad thing?! I’m going to give it to him regardless so was just interested in amounts really.

Scstevo
Dogs: Freddie

Post by Scstevo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:35 pm

munstyman wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:07 pm
Have to agree Judy, the op did say the dog was on a quality ( puppy?) kibble, and should not need supplements. However its the dog that eats it, and if adding fish oil gave an improvement in coat condition, I would argue that the op needs to change his `opinion' ;)
Much has been said about `training the dog in front of you', I would suggest that could be held over to feeding too, no one regime fits all, and quality label does not mean quality ingredients which the ` individual' dog can utilise. :think:
By quality kibble I mean that it has quality ingredients that I’ve researched, not a fancy packaging. (I had a lot of time to kill one day!)

Springfield Pointers

Post by Springfield Pointers » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:37 pm

If you're giving a dog kibble, I'm sure any addition of fish oil would be an improvement. Better still - just add a can of sardines.