ESS pup DNA Tested Affected for PRA Cord 1

Any health / feeding questions - remember this is no substitute for the Vet!
Forum rules
There is no substitute to visiting your Vet - he has the knowledge and experience and can see/feel/smell your dog and advise accordingly. Please apply your own judgement and common sense to any advice given. What works for one dog might not work for another. If you are in any doubt please visit your Vet! General Forum Rules
Sgurr
Dogs: Peggy Sue

ESS pup DNA Tested Affected for PRA Cord 1

Post by Sgurr » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:37 pm

Sadly, 10 years after the DNA was was introduced, untested dogs are still being mated.

Penwills Doug PRA Cord 1 Affected

Sire Shalloakwest Phantom
Dam Kirstzo Degree
both parents should be considered as Carriers.

Grandparents:
Denford Danny Of Belvden
Regal Vision
Flaxdale Jamie (Clear for PRA Cord 1)
Dawsonlee Bracken
as Jamie is Clear, Bracken should be considered a Carrier. Bracken has Denford Danny Of Belvden as sire and Woodstorm Avril as dam. Avril has a Clear bitch by Buccleuch Pepper so the odds seem to be stacking on Danny being a Carrier (sired 549 pups but only one tested, a Clear).

The test is about £50, is there a price on the heartbreak of having an Affected pup?

EssGrouse

Re: ESS pup DNA Tested Affected for PRA Cord 1

Post by EssGrouse » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:11 am

I used Vatanen, his grandsire is Denford Danny and a bitch from the litter is PRA clear. The dam wasn't tested.

I can also see he sired another 5 all clear too, so does it point to him with them all coming back clear?

I can see the only dog to be tested directly from Danny is clear also for PRA?
Without Commitment, You'll never start.....but more importantly.....without consistancy you'll never finish.

vixen.
Dogs: ...have lost the plot

Post by vixen. » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:11 pm

FTCh Belvden Collingwood, son of Danny, also has a number of progeny out of various bitches tested clear for PRA. I think we are casting the net too soon !

Sgurr

Post by Sgurr » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:27 pm

If you look at Belvden Vatanen then it's best to consider his sire Halaze Hickory of Edgegrove has 12 tested Clears and 0 Carriers and Vatanen's dam Rydanlue Breeze has 1 tested Clear, and of the 13 tested descendants from her, 12 are Clear and the only Carrier comes from a planned mating of a Carrier to a Clear. I'd say the odds are that HH of E, R Breeze and BV are all untested Clears.

Belvden Collingwood, son of Danny, has 6 pups tested Clear for PRA Cord 1 and another 8 descendants tested Clear, so it is likely that he too is an untested Clear.

A Carrier can pass either a normal gene or a mutant gene to its offspring so there is no issue with R Breeze and B Collingwood being likely untested Clears. If you look at the original post, then Phantom got the mutant gene either from Danny or Regal Vision. Kirstzo Degree has a Clear sire so look at the dam and Dawsonlee Bracken is sired by Danny. Penwills Doug has a COI of 17.6%, that's the chance of inheriting the same gene from a common ancestor ie one on both sides of the pedigree, and the nearest common ancestor in this case is Danny. Also Danny's sire Laganmill Malvern is the grandsire of Raven Inquest who sired a Carrier pup on a Clear bitch. Danny isn't going to be siring any more pups (born 1998) unless there are some of his straws about but it is as well to be aware of problems in breeding lines.

The point of this post is to highlight how inexpensive the test is and only one of the parents needs to test Clear to ensure there will be no Affecteds in a litter, so it is about £50 compared to the sale value of the litter, somewhere around £5000 perhaps. I have no problem with Carriers being bred to Clears, the gene pool needs to be kept as wide as possible, but there is no reason whatsover to produce Affecteds, that's just sloppy, greedy breeding practices.

Alice
Dogs: Spaniels

Post by Alice » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:27 pm

I'm sorry Enid I agree with you in most matters but I take exception to you calling this mating of a FTCh to a winning bitch sloppy, greedy breeding.

I fully understand you reporting breed health issues as you see fit as I say, and I agree it is regrettable and preventable but intentionally sloppy and greedy it was not.
Last edited by Alice on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers,
Alice.

A spaniel is a vehicle for a nose

Judy

Post by Judy » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:08 am

Nah, I agree with Enid, not testing a FTCh dog is sloppy in this day and age especially given the amount of influence he is likely to have, rightly or wrongly, on the gene pool. Arguably a bitch has less influence given that she will only produce four litters. At the end of the day its not just the affected pups that suffer but the whole gene pool, test, use carriers provided the other dog is tested clear but do your best not to breed affected pups, its not hard to do and its not expensive either.
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.

madrags
Dogs: Rowf and Link

Post by madrags » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:31 pm

A year or so ago, they were asking owners of springers to send in samples (to the Animal Health Trust, I think) for FREE testing. I sent in samples for all three of my lads (who were all clear), but nobody could claim expense as reason for not testing.
Inside every springer, no matter how well trained, is an idiot trying to get out

Pink isn't just a colour, it's an attitude

3Springers
Dogs: Deefa, Sage, Jem, Spud, Marmite et al

Post by 3Springers » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:49 pm

One of our bitches was sired by Denford Danny of Belvden and has tested clear. One of our other bitches has him as her Grandfather on maternal side and has also tested clear. The four pups we kept from the second bitch have also all tested clear.

Sgurr

Post by Sgurr » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:02 am

Well done for testing , thank you.