Hip dysplasia

Any health / feeding questions - remember this is no substitute for the Vet!
Forum rules
There is no substitute to visiting your Vet - he has the knowledge and experience and can see/feel/smell your dog and advise accordingly. Please apply your own judgement and common sense to any advice given. What works for one dog might not work for another. If you are in any doubt please visit your Vet! General Forum Rules
Miesque
Dogs: Dan (ESS), Archie (Lurcher), Zou (ESS)

Re: Hip dysplasia

Post by Miesque » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:23 am

FHO is certainly an option although not ideal in medium-large dogs.

What your bitch has is degenerative - arthritis will develop so all you're doing unless you opt for a hip replacement is managing the symptoms. A goo joint supplement (Yumove Working dog or Equine Cortaflex have been effective for me), maintain as much muscle mass as possible to support the joint (my dysplastic dog swims ~2km a day), use a drying rug to keep the joint warm after wet/cold exercise, avoid jumping into vehicles/on to furniture and use pain relief as neccessary.

My dog is also on Cartrophen injections which make a noticeable difference to him but don't help all dogs

Nickheref

Re: Hip dysplasia

Post by Nickheref » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:24 am

Jelinga wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:53 pm
It is a recognised operation (or was!) for hip dysplasia in the smaller dog, ie up to Spaniel size. I suppose these days when they can do total hip replacements it isn't done so often. ,
My vet told me it was what used to be done in humans with badly damaged hips before hip replacements as although it reduced mobility it stopped the pain which was the better of the two choices.