Overshot jaw

Any health / feeding questions - remember this is no substitute for the Vet!
Forum rules
There is no substitute to visiting your Vet - he has the knowledge and experience and can see/feel/smell your dog and advise accordingly. Please apply your own judgement and common sense to any advice given. What works for one dog might not work for another. If you are in any doubt please visit your Vet! General Forum Rules
Brianbolton

Overshot jaw

Post by Brianbolton » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:52 pm

Hello all
New to this so please forgive me .
We have just purchased a fox red lab , £1300
Our first visit to the vets found a overshot jaw of 6mm appx

The vets advice for that price was take the dog back ?
But you do get attached very quickly , we have contacted the breeder who is more than happy to refund or take money off .

My question is what are the possible future medical bills and why would be a fair price to pay .
Or should I take note from the vet and return for a refund .
Our intention if we keep him is to work him with our other lab

Thanks in advance for any advice

Judy
Co-Admin

Re: Overshot jaw

Post by Judy » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:01 pm

Difficult one, if you had every intention of breeding then take it back as its not fit for that purpose. Possible bills? I don't know, I had a bitch that was slightly overshot and she never had a problem picking up.

How old is the dog and how much training has it had?
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.

CockerCanuck
Dogs: Ruadh, Fergal, Hamish

Post by CockerCanuck » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:58 pm

Agree with Judy, if you have interest in breeding it is a significant concern. If you are only hoping for a shooting companion and pet doubtful it will have any impact. Also these things can change. I currently have a dog which at 5 months the vet told me was overshot and today I would say he has perfect meshing of teeth.

Brianbolton

Post by Brianbolton » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:02 am

Hi Judy
Thank you for reply
He is currently 7 weeks old
As I said in my post vet was direct , in saying take him back
But I gues they are a lard harder than the person that wants the dog as a pet/gun dog .
We would never have known if bet hadn’t picked it up .
We have no interest in breeding he is bought to accompany our other dog as a picker up .

Judy
Co-Admin

Post by Judy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:12 am

At 7 weeks it can and will changes he matures, were there any other dogs left in the litter? Wouldn't be possible to swop him for one with a better mouth?

Personally I think I would hang on to him but negotiate a partial refund with the breeder as you paid top whack for the dog - I'd want perfection!

May I ask, were both parents fully health tested?
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.

James

Post by James » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:56 am

Firstly you shouldn't have the dog at 7 weeks old, so any breeder that has let it go isn't a good one. Secondly because of that it's massively over priced even without the isue of being over shot.
Take it back get your money and do more home work and find a good honest breeder that won't rip you off
If it was easy it wouldn't be so much fun.

trekmoor
Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Post by trekmoor » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:29 am

Brianbolton wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:52 pm

We have just purchased a fox red lab , £1300
I'd want a field trial winner if I paid that amount ! :shock:

Only kidding but you have been ripped off . Quality work bred lab pups can be bought for considerably less than that. By "quality" I mean health tested parents with a very good field trial pedigree . Perhaps paying £50 to £100 more to get the colour you'd like is worth it to you, if so that's fine with me but you have paid a lot more than £50 to £100 !

If I liked a pup and then discovered it was slightly overshot but not enough to cause it any problems then I would keep the pup but would not breed from it. Being overshot or undershot can be a hereditary problem.

Personally, I would take the pup back to the breeder. Not because it is overshot but because I'd been ripped off with it's price.

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.

Contender

Post by Contender » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:40 pm

Return it asap! It's of course your choice to pay whatever you like for a puppy but regardless this puppy should be sold to you in good health (should have been vet checked by the breeder before selling it) and without any (known) faults and since overshot/undershot is clearly visible, this puppy should not have been sold to you. Any puppy with a fault would either be kept by a good breeder or alternatively given away or sold at a symbolic price. A puppy with an overshot/undershot jaw cannot/should not be bred from and it WILL affect it's ability to pick up game (especially if it's bad), I speak from experience. The dog that I have which is very overshot, had a near perfect bite as 8 weeks old but I kept him just in case and by 6 months of age it had developed into very overshot.

Natasha