Labrador elbow scores?

Any health / feeding questions - remember this is no substitute for the Vet!
Forum rules
There is no substitute to visiting your Vet - he has the knowledge and experience and can see/feel/smell your dog and advise accordingly. Please apply your own judgement and common sense to any advice given. What works for one dog might not work for another. If you are in any doubt please visit your Vet! General Forum Rules
Springcopse spaniels

Re: Labrador elbow scores?

Post by Springcopse spaniels » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:43 pm

Ok makes sense.
From what I've also heard is a lot of people are making stud choices soley on clear results.
Anything that is a carrier is immediately being discounted regardless of the ability of the dog. This yet again will cause bottlenecks in the system suremy :think:
A well schooled dog will open doors, a poor one closes them quickly.

Dawnrazor

Post by Dawnrazor » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:29 pm

Is there anything on MYKC that will tell you the expected combined results or risks of the pups?

reidller

Post by reidller » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:14 pm

Dawnrazor wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:29 pm
Is there anything on MYKC that will tell you the expected combined results or risks of the pups?
I couldn't find anything when I was looking, although there must be a calculation you can do from the parents.

Hanrebor
Dogs: They won't all fit on !!! ... Lots

Post by Hanrebor » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:44 pm

There is a massive problem with people getting Labradors hip/elbow scored and not submitting them to the Kc .... consequently this means generally only the best scores are submitted and therefore the breed average is lower than it should be. I agree with the comment about purchasing a youngster around the 12 months age as I would be suspicious as to whether it had been screened already and not had good results from the vet. Remember that hip and elbows are a recessive gene so whilst the sire and dam may have very good scores, you are bringing through the whole package, just like all other genetics !

Judy
Co-Admin

Post by Judy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:24 pm

Agree with Hanrebor, I know a breeder who had a good Lab from tested lines, used a well known sire from a line with all low scoring hips, had a litter of pups several of which had high hip scores. A friend also had a problem litter from tested lines, its not a guarantee but its better than not doing them.
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.