Feeding 12 week old puppy

Any health / feeding questions - remember this is no substitute for the Vet!
Forum rules
There is no substitute to visiting your Vet - he has the knowledge and experience and can see/feel/smell your dog and advise accordingly. Please apply your own judgement and common sense to any advice given. What works for one dog might not work for another. If you are in any doubt please visit your Vet! General Forum Rules
duke
Dogs: WSS x Collie, Cocker x Poodle

Feeding 12 week old puppy

Post by duke » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi Back again after 2 years off here,

I've put a deposit down on another dog, i wanted a cocker the wife wanted a cocker x poodle (im not saying its breed name, cannot bring myself round to admitting it, yet!). The bitch pup comes from the daughter of 2015 FtCh Mallowdale Xfactor (with proof). Smashing little bitch both parents were lovely and actively working. Anyway, the breeder said he feeds the pup twice a day... Is this fine? From pups in the past we were feeding 3 times a day at this age, granted its probably the smallest dog we've owned to date so no experience with this size.

Its been 7 years since i last raised a pup, i'm very much looking forward to seeing what i can do with it and the challenges that WILL arise!

All the best

nanalander

Re: Feeding 12 week old puppy

Post by nanalander » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:37 pm

Hello Duke, I am no expert on feeding pups, however, I have an eleven week old LM bitch, and when I picked her up she was on four meals, this was at eight and a half weeks. Breeder who kept one boy said she would go straight to three meals a day with him. Her vet said this would be fine at eight and a half weeks. With my bitch I intend to go to three meals at twelve weeks. Then to two meals at possibly four to five months? Good luck with your pup, and they will always let you know if they are hungry!

munstyman

Post by munstyman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:05 pm

I'm a three feeds a day at eight weeks man myself, as it gives more flexibility to get the right quantity of nutrition into the pup without overloading the digestive tract. I stay with two meals a day in adults for much the same reason although many feed once.

duke

Post by duke » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:30 pm

Should have probably put the pup is 12 weeks...

Sgurr
Dogs: Peggy Sue

Post by Sgurr » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:14 pm

Yes, three times per day at three months and drop to two meals just before five months. You don't have to feed equal amounts at each meal - you can do big breakfast, small lunch, medium supper and to move on to two meals, feed a bit more either morning or evening and less and less at lunch until it is just four or five pieces of kibble for training. Increase the amount a little each week as the pup grows but keep an eye on its condition.
Enjoy your pup!

Springfield Pointers

Post by Springfield Pointers » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:18 pm

I feed my pups 3 times daily until they are 6 months, then twice day until year old.

duke

Post by duke » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Thanks for the advice, i thought it was 3 times until 6 month, not sure why its only being fed twice, probably to fit in with all of his other working dogs.

If for example come supper the pup is leaving it should i drop to 2 and adjust amounts in those two meals?
Cheers

Springfield Pointers

Post by Springfield Pointers » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:19 pm

Feed the dog less, but keep it's intake to 3 times daily. If the dog is getting fat, reduce the volume.

Judy
Co-Admin

Post by Judy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:31 pm

Springfield Pointers wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:18 pm
I feed my pups 3 times daily until they are 6 months, then twice day until year old.
My 5.5 month old is still on three but I'm gradually decreasing the bed time meal and increasing quantity at tea time ready to phase out supper. If your pup is small then three or four smaller meals a day would be best.
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.

duke

Post by duke » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:14 pm

Thanks for the info guys 3 meals it is! Picking her up tomorrow, cannot wait!