Cocker Stud dog dilemma

Questions and discussions on breeding your dogs
rhosyn
Member
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:47 pm
Location: Flintshire

Re: Cocker Stud dog dilemma

Post by rhosyn » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:34 pm

Sure am, the bitch is super but a touch soft that's why id like to put something a bit harder over her. Do you think it'd be overdoing things as somebody above mentioned though? Value your opinion on this. Ps Harry is doing great, they're hopefully doing some working tests next year!
Last edited by rhosyn on Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dorset Cocker
Member
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:40 am
Dogs: Too Many!!!
Location: West Dorset

Re: Cocker Stud dog dilemma

Post by Dorset Cocker » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:58 pm

If you want to put a Warrior on her use FTCH Tudorbriar Moonwarrior he is hard going.
Creechdale Spaniels

rhosyn
Member
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:47 pm
Location: Flintshire

Re: Cocker Stud dog dilemma

Post by rhosyn » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:20 pm

Dorset Cocker wrote:If you want to put a Warrior on her use FTCH Tudorbriar Moonwarrior he is hard going.
He is fabulous but due to kids and other dogs to look after distance does come into it as well. The fact that Argyll Warrior x my bitch has a pretty low inbreeding coefficient when it comes to working cockers has also influenced me as well as the fact AW is pretty darn awesome - and so are a lot of his progeny of course. TB MW's COI would be much higher, too.
Thanks for the great suggestion though :)

beechessam
Member
Posts: 926
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Cocker Stud dog dilemma

Post by beechessam » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:09 pm

Warrior has proven himself, time and time again. You just need to decide if what's he's proven is for you!

I wouldn't worry about COI too much and certainly wouldn't let that be a deciding factor.

rhosyn
Member
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:47 pm
Location: Flintshire

Re: Cocker Stud dog dilemma

Post by rhosyn » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:21 pm

8-)
Can't wait, wish she'd hurry up and come into season properly!

EssGrouse
Member
Posts: 848
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:37 pm
Location: Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Cocker Stud dog dilemma

Post by EssGrouse » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:35 pm

Strathcraig wrote:
Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:59 am
"Go to a guid dugs faither"

If you like Black Jack, use Warrior. Bearing in mind that Warrior has also produced a few championship winners, that's where I'd be headed. But I don't know much about Cockers, so I'm assuming you've reached those two via a lot of research.
I can never figure out why people say this because im sure we say 80% of the quality comes from the bitch.

The dog is good because of an accumulation of his mother and father not just his father so makes no sense to me this type of comment.

Use the dog itself !!!
Without Commitment, You'll never start.....but more importantly.....without consistancy you'll never finish.

Miesque
Member
Posts: 1018
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:35 pm
Dogs: Dan (ESS), Archie (Lurcher), Zou (ESS)
Location: Newmarket or Wicklow

Re: Cocker Stud dog dilemma

Post by Miesque » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:07 pm

EssGrouse wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:35 pm
Strathcraig wrote:
Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:59 am
"Go to a guid dugs faither"

If you like Black Jack, use Warrior. Bearing in mind that Warrior has also produced a few championship winners, that's where I'd be headed. But I don't know much about Cockers, so I'm assuming you've reached those two via a lot of research.
I can never figure out why people say this because im sure we say 80% of the quality comes from the bitch.

The dog is good because of an accumulation of his mother and father not just his father so makes no sense to me this type of comment.

Use the dog itself !!!
Because in most cases we know what the dog's father produces but often we don't know yet what the dog produces until the dog has pups out there running?

The 80% of quality is the bitch is nonsensical - although she can certainly influence temperament by her interactions with the litter and the world.

EssGrouse
Member
Posts: 848
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:37 pm
Location: Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Cocker Stud dog dilemma

Post by EssGrouse » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:19 pm

Be brave and use the dog itself..dont be a sheep and wait for others.
Without Commitment, You'll never start.....but more importantly.....without consistancy you'll never finish.

Miesque
Member
Posts: 1018
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:35 pm
Dogs: Dan (ESS), Archie (Lurcher), Zou (ESS)
Location: Newmarket or Wicklow

Re: Cocker Stud dog dilemma

Post by Miesque » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:00 pm

EssGrouse wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:19 pm
Be brave and use the dog itself..dont be a sheep and wait for others.
Depends on the reason for breeding. If you have one bitch and are breeding a single litter to keep a pup I'd go for a proven sire. Lower the risk. If breeding more "commercially" or likely to breed multiple litters in your lifetime then go for the dog that takes your fancy.

Post Reply