Improving the breed..........

Questions and discussions on breeding your dogs
trekmoor
Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Re: Improving the breed..........

Post by trekmoor » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:04 pm

You are probably right but would it really be impossible to deliberately breed for a dog that could work on through more pain than others if the dog felt the reward was great enough ? I used to correspond with some New Zealand pig hunters who said they always e- collared their dogs before introducing them to sheep.

They had bred those dogs to be tough so they always used the highest level of nic they could to prevent the sheep being savaged. Last I heard they were putting e-collars at full power around the dogs necks and around their waists and zapping the dogs with both collars ….because the dogs they'd bred could still chase sheep if only one collar was used !

Those dogs must be real brutes . I'd hate to own a dog like that.

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.

Springfield Pointers

Post by Springfield Pointers » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:28 pm

trekmoor wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:04 pm
You are probably right but would it really be impossible to deliberately breed for a dog that could work on through more pain than others if the dog felt the reward was great enough ? I used to correspond with some New Zealand pig hunters who said they always e- collared their dogs before introducing them to sheep.

They had bred those dogs to be tough so they always used the highest level of nic they could to prevent the sheep being savaged. Last I heard they were putting e-collars at full power around the dogs necks and around their waists and zapping the dogs with both collars ….because the dogs they'd bred could still chase sheep if only one collar was used !

Those dogs must be real brutes . I'd hate to own a dog like that.

Wullie
Basically. They're breeding them to be wild, stubborn and as untrainable as possible. That is a dog "bred for the collar".

Nickheref

Post by Nickheref » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:14 am

One thing that in my view does not help improve the breed is the widespread use of fashionable sires who throw very variable progeny, some of which are good enough to trial and perpetuate the myth that the dog is a great sire but a significant proportion of which are no use for any work at all which no one hears about.

High On
Dogs: Mae , Molly, Sticker

Post by High On » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:08 pm

Having read most of these postings I find a certain amount of accuracy here. Trials and Hunt Tests are only one way to select brood stock. Pedigrees and conversation is another aspect. Health and hereditary issues are another aspect. Conformation is also part of the mix. Watching the dogs in action is invaluable. The biggest problem I see with Trials and Hunt Tests comes from the Judges. Many are friends and scratch each others backs at times and, will do whatever possible to title a dog for the client. As one person noted earlier in a posting, money drives some people to breed for the dollar not for the betterment of the breed. Controlled situations are not always under control.

Springfield Pointers

Post by Springfield Pointers » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:18 pm

High On wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:08 pm
Watching the dogs in action is invaluable. The biggest problem I see with Trials and Hunt Tests comes from the Judges.
Now that is something I agree with...