Labrador Coat Quality

Questions and discussions on breeding your dogs
Matt

Re: Labrador Coat Quality

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:02 pm

Judy wrote: Labrador coats all seem to be thin on the working side, otter tails have also pretty much disappeared, and I wonder if this is why I hear of so many Labs getting Limber / Swim tail these days?
I hadn't connected lack of an otter tail with increased risk of swimmer's tail Judy - it's an interesting thought as several of the working bred labs I know get it occasionally, and none of them have what you'd call an otter tail. Having said that - personally I couldn't care less about what my dog's tail looks like - it's just a daft show-dog thing. This stuff about them "needing" it to swim is utter twaddle.

I do agree that many working lab's coats aren't great. One of my dogs had a very thin undercoat, so while the guard hairs were fine at keeping rain off, once he got soaking he got very cold very quickly. That is until he was neutered, at which point I was actually really pleased to see it thicken up...

greenshank1

Post by greenshank1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:28 pm

Wildfowling is definitely a minority group in the shooting world. Many I know put working ability and love of water above fancy pedigrees and Ftch.
I would reckon most wildfowlers will consider a good double coat as one of the most important qualities for their dog. Being chunky build and big paws is another good characteristic.
My lab loves the water , has double coat and the otter tail but has still got limber tail after being in and out of the sea for a few hours.
I reckon all Working labs should have good thick double coats no matter if they are wildfowling ,beaters dogs , peg dogs etc etc and we should be trying breed dogs with a good coat.

Judy

Post by Judy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:39 pm

I don't think anyone could argue with that, dogs need good coats for winter work and tough skin otherwise they end up cut to ribbons.
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.