Incredible Sprockers

Questions and discussions on breeding your dogs
Cass
Dogs: Lily (Dachshund) & Jake (Cocker)

Re: Incredible Sprockers

Post by Cass » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:08 pm

I'll be honest I find it a bit absurd that so many folks are up in arms about the sprocker thing going on right now. I even question the accuracy of DNA tests. It seems that many folks forget that for many years cockers and springers were the same dog. And while I am a big advocate of buying purebred dogs I do recognize that a good dog is a good dog... regardless of a piece of paper that may or may not be attached to it.
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Judy

Post by Judy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:43 pm

Only because if its proven to be true then somebody is cheating and falsifying KC papers. Its not about whether its a good dog or not its more about the truth, Cass, we all like to see a good dog regardless of its breeding.
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.

Naj

Post by Naj » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:25 pm

It would be more than cheating, it is fraud. How would you like it, Cass, if the pedigree cocker you paid extra for because of its good breeding turned out to be sired by a springer? I've nothing against sprockers when you know what you're paying for. And it's yet to be seen whether the new Embarkvet tests will stand up to scrutiny or even throw the whole bandwagon head over heels if it doesn't replicate the Wisdom tests. :think:

Naj

Cass

Post by Cass » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:42 pm

Again I will reiterate I'm all about pedigree dogs. To say this is cheating would be to say springers are better than cockers. I'm not willing to agree to that. In Canada springers and cockers trial together. The best dog always wins regardless of breed
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Sgurr
Dogs: Peggy Sue

Post by Sgurr » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:03 am

It is about integrity in breeding and saying what is true to the best of your knowledge and belief. Knowledge, you know what sire and dam you used - belief that the previous generations on the pedigree are also true.
Go for the best working dog and call it a mongrel - I've no problem with that - but don't say that mongrel is a true breed dog and goes for that higher price. That is fraud. There are only allegations at the moment but seems to be long standing issues. What is highlighted and needs to be changed is the old fashioned way the KC register dogs - there are other national KC's that require a DNA profile of pup and its parents before registration. The KC needs to get up to date.

Cass

Post by Cass » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:29 pm

Sgurr wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:03 am
It is about integrity in breeding and saying what is true to the best of your knowledge and belief.
I can definitely agree with that.