Incredible Sprockers

Questions and discussions on breeding your dogs
Naj

Re: Incredible Sprockers

Post by Naj » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:06 pm

What would really make a sprocker incredible would be if they pointed. Then you could pass them off as a poor man's Brittany. :idea: :lol:

Following on from MunstyMs post. What type/s of job do you expect of the new dog that your present dog isn't capable of but a cocker would have been? :think:

Naj

CockerCanuck
Dogs: Ruadh, Fergal, Hamish

Post by CockerCanuck » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:31 am

Naj wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:06 pm
What would really make a sprocker incredible would be if they pointed. :idea: :lol:
Naj
Naj, the poor thing already needs to carry the burden of being a mongrel and unregistered and on top of that you want it to start displaying deviant behavior by pointing! How could it show its face amongst real gundogs? ;)

Naj

Post by Naj » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:22 am

CockerCanuck wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:31 am
Naj wrote:
What would really make a sprocker incredible would be if they pointed. :idea: :lol:
Naj
Naj, the poor thing already needs to carry the burden of being a mongrel and unregistered and on top of that you want it to start displaying deviant behavior by pointing! How could it show its face amongst real gundogs? ;)
You know you really want a pointy nose. :lol:

Alice
Dogs: Spaniels

Post by Alice » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:48 am

CockerCanuck wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:31 am
Naj wrote:
Naj
'deviant behaviour' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I, and a few others on here, have a cocker who points (or should I say 'something registered as a cocker' in these uncertain times)- the same one untroubled by gunshot but with a weak desire to retrieve. Come to think of it, she does hunt a bit wide too.... is there a small, fluffy HPR breed that someone has been infusing our glorious breed with?!!
cheers,
Alice.

A spaniel is a vehicle for a nose

Judy

Post by Judy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:10 pm

One of mine has a tendency to point at me when I blow the stop whistle, anyone who wishes to have their dog trained in this interesting procedure please contact the OP.
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.

Sgurr
Dogs: Peggy Sue

Post by Sgurr » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:24 pm

My understanding of J Regs is that a point is a refinement but when told to flush it should be an immediate reaction from the dog = very positive not negative if it does.
More experienced folks will comment.

Naj

Post by Naj » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:28 am

I thought they'd taken that bit out. It goes back to the days when it was considered a refinement for a spaniel to point or indicate its game. Not that far back, really.

Naj

CockerCanuck

Post by CockerCanuck » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:57 am

The three Labradors I have owned have all had a tendency to point. I did not encourage it, they just started on their own and it seemed did it more consistently as they got older. My current one points probably 70% of the upland birds she finds and holds point a surprisingly long time certainly over 10 seconds. She then moves in to flush either when I encourage her or on her own. I have never had a spaniel that showed any sign of wanting to do anything similar.

Naj

Post by Naj » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:16 pm

CC, wash your mouth out, you have labs doing the job of a flushing breed!!??? :o :lol:

Don't you have strains of pointing labradors over there? Might have some of that slipped into your breeding.

Naj

CockerCanuck

Post by CockerCanuck » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:31 pm

Naj wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:16 pm
CC, wash your mouth out, you have labs doing the job of a flushing breed!!??? :o :lol:

Don't you have strains of pointing labradors over there? Might have some of that slipped into your breeding.

Naj
Naj, most people over here do everything with Labs. As a matter of fact most places I go you would think there was only one breed of gundog. I am aware of the kennels, mostly in the mid-west USA, who promote pointing Labs but mine are not from this stock. I do have a friend who drove all the way to Minnesota to get one. It does no point any more or better than my bitch who is actually mostly of British breeding. Her grandsire was an Irish FC. My first Lab was from a breeder that still promoted dual purpose show/working stock. My second was her son bred her to a Field Trial/Hunting dog belonging to a friend. All these dogs have pointed upland birds and more so as they got older. Kind of embarrassing when they do it in public ;)