Incredible Sprockers

Questions and discussions on breeding your dogs
Naj

Re: Incredible Sprockers

Post by Naj » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:49 pm

Why embarrassing? My first springer spaniel was a natural and staunch pointer and it came in very useful in practice.

Naj

jeffD
Dogs: Teal

Post by jeffD » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:01 pm

My first cocker would also point but only rabbits that were in gorse, he didn't go into gorse for a rabbit, game birds yes rabbits were a no. He had learnt that his pointing would attract one of my other dogs to go in and flush and he could run in for the retrieve
Jeff

trekmoor
Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Post by trekmoor » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:42 pm

I used the fact that my cocker Charlie often points before flushing to "persuade" him not to chase rabbits. I had tried all sorts of other ways but I noticed he often pointed for a few seconds before flushing and that gave me the chance to get hold of the check-cord. He still does chase rabbits but not if I'm nearby !

Although it is frowned on by the spaniel trial folk I value a spaniel that points and then flushes. It gives me more time to get ready to steady the dog and more time to get ready to shoot too........my mates with spaniels consider this to be unsporting !

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.

ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Post by ips » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:37 pm

This maybe a really really stupid question but what the hell it wont be the first...

Presumably pointers do the pointing thing naturally but why ?

If its trained (or it was trained at first and now after selective breeding they do it naturally) then how would you train for such a thing. ??
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

Naj

Post by Naj » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:50 pm

It would be easy to train a spaniel to point, specially cockers which up to relatively recently were prone to indicating game before flushing it, and as I mentioned all spaniels pointed at one time so pointing was/is a naturally occurring behaviour in gundog breeds and similar to the collie eye. In 1924 Dick Sharpe had a chapter in his book, Gundog Training for Amateurs, devoted to training spaniel to stand (point) to rabbits.

Naj

Dawnrazor

Post by Dawnrazor » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:51 pm

Sorry, but Id hate for my spaniels to point, a good positive hard flush is what I want, if you want a dog that points.........get a pointer.

Naj

Post by Naj » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:30 pm

That's the current fashion, but it wasn't always so.

Dawnrazor

Post by Dawnrazor » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:56 pm

Naj wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:30 pm
That's the current fashion, but it wasn't always so.
I understand Naj, but I really don't like it my self!

Judy

Post by Judy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Fussy beggar.
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.

CockerCanuck
Dogs: Ruadh, Fergal, Hamish

Post by CockerCanuck » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:33 am

I don't really mind my Lab pointing. It is her own style, she developed on her own. It certainly impresses lots of people who see it. I guess I am just an unrepentent and unredeemable old spaniel guy. I love a hard flush and a dog going in with the intencity and intent of catching that bird.

I have observed I shoot much better when quckly reacting to a hard flush. When walking in on a point I always seem to overthink the situation and very often miss what looks like should be an easy shot.