Incredible Sprockers

Questions and discussions on breeding your dogs
Naj

Re: Incredible Sprockers

Post by Naj » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:26 pm

Your attitude to flushing, CC, is influenced by cultural norms, as are ours in the Uk. In your country the driving flush where the dog tries to catch the bird in mid air is highly desirable whereas in this country it would be penalised because catching an unshot bird is an eliminating fault in field trials. I think the divergence in opinion comes back to the foibles and influence of competition in that your competition boys train and run trials on planted birds and trapping/catching the occasional bird is simply a fact of life. So your attitudes changed to accommodate this.

It's also interesting what you say about the effectiveness of snap shooting at unexpected game produced by a hard flushing spaniel and I'd agree with you in that. There's always a presumption that it's far easier shooting over a pointing breed but, like you, I've shoot over both types extensively and have often missed what seems to be incredibly easy birds where I have all the time in the world to prepare and take the shot. A few times this season I've seen the bird in front of the dog and thought... oh yes! This ones in the bag .... as I've manoeuvred into the best position and then missed completely! I'd rather have a bird flush as I walk into the point and take me by surprise &/or the dog has to rush forward to flush an unseen bird as I walk past the point. :-D

Naj

CockerCanuck
Dogs: Ruadh, Fergal, Hamish

Post by CockerCanuck » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:51 pm

Yes I have never minded a dog catching a bird. To me it shows desire. I suspect it is cultural and may be about more than just fashion in trials. We are not many generations from the Pioneers here when hunting was a lot more about meat on the table than sport. I certainly remember my father making a big fuss over his dog if it caught a grouse or a rabbit. "Good Boy you saved me a shell!"

TravisW

Post by TravisW » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:25 pm

Some splinters in some backsides ?

Judy

Post by Judy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:33 pm

Depends on what you are sliding down. Some people slide so far they fall off.
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.

PERCE

Post by PERCE » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:43 pm

Is there a test you can get done to see if your Sprocker is incredible?

Dawnrazor

Post by Dawnrazor » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:10 pm

PERCE wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:43 pm
Maybe "credible"?

trekmoor
Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Post by trekmoor » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:53 am

[quote=Naj

It's also interesting what you say about the effectiveness of snap shooting at unexpected game produced by a hard flushing spaniel and I'd agree with you in that. There's always a presumption that it's far easier shooting over a pointing breed but, like you, I've shoot over both types extensively and have often missed what seems to be incredibly easy birds where I have all the time in the world to prepare and take the shot. A few times this season I've seen the bird in front of the dog and thought... oh yes! This ones in the bag .... as I've manoeuvred into the best position and then missed completely! I'd rather have a bird flush as I walk into the point and take me by surprise &/or the dog has to rush forward to flush an unseen bird as I walk past the point. :-D

Naj
[/quote]

I very seldom ever missed an "up the backside" shot when shooting over pointing dogs. In fact ,if I was training the dog, I used to shoot the birds it flushed from the hip with one hand only as I used the other hand in a "sit sign" to the dog ! I never tried shooting rabbits in that way though , too difficult and too dangerous.

Going away birds are dead easy "up the backside" shots. The hardest birds to hit for me were always the birds coming straight at me.

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:02 am

PERCE wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:43 pm
Dunk the breeder in water. If they drown then they're not a witch. Sorry. I meant: not a sprocker breeder.

TravisW

Post by TravisW » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks

Judy

Post by Judy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:06 pm

If only a UFO would come down and whisk away all those who seek to gain by adding illicit blood to our Cockers.
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.