james bawden

Review and rate clothing, training equipment, books, DVD's etc
ryanpartridge1
Dogs: cocker peggy

james bawden

Post by ryanpartridge1 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:18 pm

hi guys,

just wanted to know if anyone has been to see james bawden at bawden flight gundogs, picking up a cocker pup in 7 weeks time and was going to go see him for a few lessons but don't know anyone who has been up to him around my way. :think:

Michelleo
Dogs: Basil, Rosie, Alfie & Lily

Re: james bawden

Post by Michelleo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:48 pm

I've just been to his Cold Game Training day with my 3 spaniels. It was very well run, the teaching style from James was excellent, the ground provided all the technical elements required and the weather was perfect! Ok I don't think James can take credit for the last bit :-)
Proud to own 4 wonderful dogs- Basil Beagle - Rosie Springer - Alfie & Lily the Cockers

Tungulria
Dogs: Abby, Flyte, Percy

Post by Tungulria » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:10 am

James is a great trainer of people and dogs. Very sympathetic handler and we always learn things when we have a lesson with him. Highly recommend him.

Bruneval3

Post by Bruneval3 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:08 am

Tungulria wrote:James is a great trainer of people and dogs. Very sympathetic handler and we always learn things when we have a lesson with him. Highly recommend him.
What a lot of people don't understand, Dog training is mostly "training people", but unfortunately some never get it :brickwall:

Geoffer
Dogs: Bramble, Jasmine

Post by Geoffer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:22 am

Bruneval3 wrote:
Tungulria wrote:James is a great trainer of people and dogs. Very sympathetic handler and we always learn things when we have a lesson with him. Highly recommend him.
What a lot of people don't understand, Dog training is mostly "training people", but unfortunately some never get it :brickwall:
+1

I certainly need training. It's when I think I don't that things fall apart!

Alice
Dogs: Spaniels

Post by Alice » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:50 am

Hi Ryan, I'm a big fan of James, like others have said he's a VERY good trainer of people and I know I've improved hugely as a trainer with him for guidance. He's excellent at sussing out your relationship with your dog too, and several people I know who've been to him have been amazed how quickly he's been able to say 'you think your dog's soft but he's having you on' or 'he's not dicking about he genuinely doesn't understand' etc.

He's also genuinely nice guy who you can have a laugh with.

The only other thing I would say is he is a shooting and picking up guy through and through (he will tell you this!), he's not a fan of getting spaniels going by chasing bunnies and tends to play quite safe with steadiness. If you're looking to rev your dog up for trial purposes, you may wish to also see someone with a pen who believes in getting them chasing young, e.g. Chris Linney.
cheers,
Alice.

A spaniel is a vehicle for a nose