Go Pro Hero

Review and rate clothing, training equipment, books, DVD's etc
Nickheref

Go Pro Hero

Post by Nickheref » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:15 am

Has anyone any experience with these cameras? I am thinking of getting one but am a bit of a luddite on this sort of stuff.

Thanks

Amberquest
Dogs: Enough!

Re: Go Pro Hero

Post by Amberquest » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:23 am

Im debating getting a cheaper alternative, the Sunco Dream 2, it gets great reviews and is less than half the price of the Go Pro. Take a look. They're very easy to use

Alice
Dogs: Spaniels

Post by Alice » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:24 am

I've got a Go Pro Hero 3 with a head mount and skeleton case thingy so I can wander about filming the dogs hands-free.

The best advice I can give you is to ignore everything they tell you about what SD cards are compatible (bascially everything, allegedly) it WILL reject everything less than a San Disk Extreme/Extreme Pro, and if it doesn't reject any other card outright it'll crash/spaz out/not charge on the rare occasions you do get it to work.

Once I had an SD card that met with it's approval, however, it was plain sailing, and the quality of the footage is top notch, even in the rain. I'm looking forward to wearing it out shooting this season.

I haven't used the editing software much yet as I just watch the videos back raw to review my training, but I think I could cobble together footage that made even my mutts look half-decent with a bit of judicious cutting! ;)
cheers,
Alice.

A spaniel is a vehicle for a nose

Big John

Post by Big John » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:20 pm

My daughter has a GoPro Hero 3+ with waterproof housing she has used it all over the world with no problems it is not fussy with SD cards as long as it is a class 10 or better.

Alice
Dogs: Spaniels

Post by Alice » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:28 pm

Big John wrote:My daughter has a GoPro Hero 3+ with waterproof housing she has used it all over the world with no problems it is not fussy with SD cards as long as it is a class 10 or better.
Yeah I understand the 3+ is better, I think it's just the 3 which is dead fussy! Big price jump though!
cheers,
Alice.

A spaniel is a vehicle for a nose

shamykebab
Dogs: A few eejits

Post by shamykebab » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:08 am

Go for the most recent model you can afford - I have one of the very old ones and it's disappointing.

Big John

Post by Big John » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:18 am

The GoPro 4 is about to be released in September if the reviews are right it should be good and for about the same price as the 3+.

Nickheref

Post by Nickheref » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:38 am

Thanks very much for all your advice.

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:12 pm

I have a Hero3 Black - overall it is excellent. Battery life leaves a bit to be desired (I understand the newer versions are making improvements to this). I use a SanDisk extreme card and have had no problems. I now have a spare.

I have heard a few stories of people needing replacements which was a factor in my decision to buy from John Lewis - not one I've regretted. I struggled with my remote which broke very quickly - it was replaced without question by the shop.

The quality is amazing - seriously amazing - but there is also a baffling array of options for shooting mode and set-up - A quick google will give you some helpful hints about which mode to use for different uses (ie if you want it strapped to you for point of view, static scene shots, slo-mo etc). This is what I tend to refer to when in doubt.

I don't use it as much as I could - but if you're anything like me you'll end up with tonnes of clips on your computer which you need to sit down and edit together...