Walking/hiking boots?

Review and rate clothing, training equipment, books, DVD's etc
Miesque
Dogs: Dan (ESS), Archie (Lurcher), Zou (ESS)

Walking/hiking boots?

Post by Miesque » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:11 am

Which do you recommend? I've finally murdered the pair I have currently (Mountain Warehouse cheapies which managed to last two seasons, I bought them for a safari expecting to leave them in Africa!).

I need something with quite a tight/narrow ankle available in a Ladies 5. All suggestions accepted but I'd rather not empty the entire piggy bank as I've just forked out for new Le Chameaus also :shock:

Stihl 090

Re: Walking/hiking boots?

Post by Stihl 090 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:07 pm

cant fault Zambalans, i have a narrower but long foot and have only needed two pairs in the last 8 yrs. walking in iceland 3wks, new zealand 5 weeks and evrey when else they have been needed, shooting, fishing, wet days etc etc. i have also used mine as a work boot for tree surgery work when hedge cutting and are extremely comfortable too.

Ada C

Post by Ada C » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:31 am

I've got a high instep and a very narrow heel and I'm a size 5. The first pair of boots I owned that didn't need rub, were Meindls. They fitted like a glove from the outset, lasted several years but did put a strain on the piggy bank.

Last year, I needed a new pair and went for Hanwags instead. They were cheaper and just as comfortable. I went up Skiddaw on Day 1 with them, without any bother and followed with another mountain a couple of days later. they've also done lots of beating on the grouse moors last year; a full season beating on the steep ground where we do pheasants (up in the hills) last year and 2 grouse days so far this season. I definitely wouldn't swap them!

I've a few friends who are serious mountain / hill climbers and many of them have switched from Meindls to Hanwag.

Rookie

Post by Rookie » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:51 pm

Having been disappointed with the quality of my last 2 pairs of Meindls I tried a pair of ladies Mammuts last year.

Fitted beautifully, and I too have narrow feet. They're not as high as some boots though and I'm not sure that they'll stand up to too many shooting seasons but perhaps worth it for the comfort.
Happiness is where we find it, but rarely where we seek it.

Miesque
Dogs: Dan (ESS), Archie (Lurcher), Zou (ESS)

Post by Miesque » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:18 pm

Lots of suggestions to look into, thanks.