The Labrador Handbook by Pippa Mattinson

Review and rate clothing, training equipment, books, DVD's etc
Naj

The Labrador Handbook by Pippa Mattinson

Post by Naj » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:30 pm

This is a thought provoking book that any aspiring Labrador owner should buy before getting a puppy. Pippa has her finger firmly on the pulse when it comes to the problems faced by new and prospective owners of Labradors as well as existing owners and goes to great lengths to highlight all the problem areas that inevitably crop up once the novelty of having a new puppy wears thin, as well as offering practical solutions. She does this in a non judgemental manner and always in clear terms that are easily understood. Similarly with her chapters on training. She is passionate about promoting modern, science based training methods & showing that there is an alternative to traditional aversive techniques and has the happy knack of being able to get her message across in easily understood language and simple exercises without slipping into confusing scientific jargon.

The book is aimed at puppy owners in general & not specifically gundog related, although the basic training exercises would form a sound basis for any prospective gundog owner as will the insight into how dogs learn & the principles of training, whatever methods you choose to use. So it's not specifically a gundog training manual but it will give novice owners all the knowledge that they will need to care for their pup, from puppy stage to old age and the inevitable 'when to let go' moment. It's an indispensable guide to anyone contemplating getting their first gundog puppy, whatever the breed. And it's a good read too.

Naj

Miesque
Dogs: Dan (ESS), Archie (Lurcher), Zou (ESS)

Re: The Labrador Handbook by Pippa Mattinson

Post by Miesque » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:35 pm

I've advocated every new dog owner getting a copy of her other book, Total Recall, for years now - she's got a very good way of getting info across without being overbearing or too complicated.

newf

Post by newf » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:58 pm

Thanks for the review Naj. It's great to have a respectable member give their opinion on interesting reading material. 8-) I need all the help I can get. :)

Naj

Post by Naj » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:49 pm

Thanks, Newf, I've been called many things, but respectable ... ! :shock: Me thinks you hide your light under a bushel. :-D

Naj

Canburne

Post by Canburne » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:26 pm

I don't know how many people are aware but Pippa was in a sense the founder of this forum. She started a forum for the Gundog Club and it was very good but far too time consuming for her and her team so she closed it down - so Iain stepped in and started this forum.
Anything I have posted on this forum is my copyright - I will not unreasonably withold permission to cross post but please just have the courtesy to ask first