Boots for Christmas

Review and rate clothing, training equipment, books, DVD's etc
Ben Smith

Boots for Christmas

Post by Ben Smith » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:27 pm

After some new boots for Christmas. Just a low boot. Have had meindl recommended, which look great but would be top of budget. What's your views? Worth it? Any other suggestions? I'd rather pay more now and buy once. Just don't tell the Mrs ;) ( she thinks a pair of boots should be £30!)

Ben

gazbev

Re: Boots for Christmas

Post by gazbev » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:45 pm

I was in the right place at the right time and got some le chameau less than half price at 45 quid,I wouldn't pay the full price because I'm tight like that but they are a very good robust boot.
Having said that I use my wellies 90% of the time anyway, be it walking, beating or shooting, summer or winter.

SpanielMad

Post by SpanielMad » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:34 pm

I've got Meindl Glockner GTX, can't fault them. Not cheap but you get what you pay for!!

EssGrouse

Post by EssGrouse » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:42 pm

The Meindl have gone down hill from what i gather, a keeper friends had them and they lasted 2 weeks !!!

Ive got the LOWA GTX high boot (approx £160) Iv'e had them 2 years & worn daily and still going strong with great support and grip and the option to have them resoled once the grip goes....which it doesn't look like its doing after 2 years.
lowa_combat_gtx_boot_brown__1.png

Also the Black Islander boots seem good and you don't need to treat them and approx same price as LOWA.
blackislander_scratchless_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Without commitment, you'll never start but more importantly, without consistency, you'll never finish.

romanriver

Post by romanriver » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:53 pm

Meindl, Lowa, Black islander, red setter, danner all good, I would stay away from Harkila!

SpanielMad

Post by SpanielMad » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:15 pm

romanriver wrote:Meindl, Lowa, Black islander, red setter, danner all good, I would stay away from Harkila!
Echo that, Harkila boots are shite, had mine just a year and they split, expect more considering the price. Can't fault the Meindl.

Matt

Post by Matt » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:16 pm

I'm a big Meindl fan. Their aftercare is great too. My wife's boots developed a little stitching fault and were replaced with a new pair.

reidller

Post by reidller » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:59 pm

I had a pair of meindl burma pros that leaked after light use, I may have been unlucky as I've read other people really rate them. Now on lowa combat gtx, comfortable, properly waterproof and not too expensive. Definitely recommend them.

Ben Smith

Post by Ben Smith » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:16 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Interesting about the mixed views on the meindl's. Although I haven't looked at them, I always assumed the harkila's would be good. Will have a look at the lowa's.

Mike A
Dogs: Ned , Wilf and Milo

Post by Mike A » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:54 pm

Irish Setters get my vote , never had a better pair of boots .