Ladies boots

Review and rate clothing, training equipment, books, DVD's etc
Mandymoo
Dogs: Radar & Conker

Ladies boots

Post by Mandymoo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:53 pm

Can anyone recommend any ladies boots that the soles are flexible, I live in the Isle of Man so can't test drive many. I have a pair of Meindl but hurt after a while (very sensitive feeties), due to the fact they are solid, thanks

Rascal
Co-Admin

Re: Ladies boots

Post by Rascal » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:13 am

I have a similar problem following breaking my foot and an operation. I bought some cabatswood boots at the Game Fair and they were comfy from the "get go". I keep them well "proofed" and they haven't let wet yet.

http://www.cabotswood.com

Rascal
General Dogsbody

Mandymoo
Dogs: Radar & Conker

Post by Mandymoo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:37 am

Thanks Rascal, I will have a look 😄

Jennie Wren
Dogs: Lily, Rocky, Dashle and Brimble

Post by Jennie Wren » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:49 pm

If you fancy a pair of pull on ones I use my dubarry Claire boots. Gortex, warm, dry and comfy all day long!

scotsgent
Dogs: "Ginny" - Cocker Spaniel

Post by scotsgent » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Scarpa/meindl/Zamberlan, etc. make mountaineering boots. they don't suit everyone since depending upon model will have a variety of stiffness. Some of them will be described as 'crampon compatible' which means they will have a stiff sole, not really suitable for moorland or woodland walking but ideal for rock scrambling or very steep slopes. On flat ground they may be sore on the feet.

I have a pair of 'Zamberlan Baffin' boots which I love, but in truth are too good to trash in the beating line, so I tend to save them for more demanding days on higher ground.

But, I also have these: https://thedrybootcompany.com/

For the money (£51 - £59 depending upon size), they are a remarkable bargain - what makes them different is that they are entirely made of rubber and are referred to as a 'dry-boot'. They don't let water in, they never need any maintenance (no polish or dubbin) and they can be tossed in the back of the truck until you next need them, since they don't take in moisture, they dry out immediately. They give much better ankle support than wellies, they are soft and comfortable.

As I say, in terms of comfort and value for money - they are great!

Don't confuse these boots with the 'Grub Ptarmigan' which looks similar, but are useless - stay away from these.

Cheers, Terry

trekmoor
Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Post by trekmoor » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi Terry, those boots look very good. They look like an almost exact copy of boots that were on sale 20 -40 years ago ? I had a pair of them and they were excellent. The only problem I had with them was the nylon interior lining which caught and held grass seeds that were difficult to remove and which jagged at and scratched my ankles.

A local keeper still wears a pair of those old boots, they have survived many hard years of keepering. I am now very tempted to buy a pair of these new boots !

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.

scotsgent

Post by scotsgent » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:00 pm

Willie,

These may well be the same boot?

I found this which indicates they have been on the go for 40 years:

"This ever-popular boot has changed little during it's 40 years - a testament to it's success. It is still the only 100% guaranteed waterproof work, walking, gamekeeping boot of it's kind. It's uses are endless - from farming to caving, dog-walking to lowland fell-walking...and so much more. PLEASE NOTE: The NEW 'Harris Dryboot' is now in - available in all sizes. See our other listings for details"

Cheers, Terry

trekmoor
Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Post by trekmoor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:38 am

Almost certainly the same boots Terry. Lightweight but tough considering they are not made from leather, I found them comfortable to wear and good for walking in most situations. I think, maybe, the original boots were called "Bridgedale's" but I'm not sure ? I wanted to buy another pair after one of my pups ate those boots but discovered they were no longer made.

I bought a pair of Harkila boots 2 -3 years ago at a cost of over £200 ...... I think they are heavy and too stiff to be really comfortable. I think I made the mistake of paying for "the name." I greatly preferred those much cheaper boots I bought years ago.

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.

Naj

Post by Naj » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:20 pm

I remember these boots from over 30 years ago. A friend recommended them and I loved wearing them. Thought they’d been discontinued so thanks for posting about them. ;)

Naj

scotsgent

Post by scotsgent » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Yes! - they are the 'Bridgedale' boot originally, then 'Viking', then Harris'.

Heres a bit more about them.

Let me say, that they don't compare to a well-fitting mountain boot which is comfortable for the wearer, but they cost £200. For £59, these comfortable, competent 'all-rounders' are a terrific bargain.

I came across them last year, when my wife visited the 'charity shop' in Kingussie and came back with a pair my size for £4.50!

Cheers, Terry