David Lisett Complete Training Day

What's going on in the Gundog world? Find out or tell everyone here.
Clayton1977

David Lisett Complete Training Day

Post by Clayton1977 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:47 pm

Does anyone have any experience of David's complete training day?

I attempted to get a place on the March 2018 day but it seems to book up quickly and I missed out. Planning to catch the 2019 day though.

Just wondering if anyone's been to it and what they thought? I'm very much at novice level.

scotsgent
Dogs: "Ginny" - Cocker Spaniel

Re: David Lisett Complete Training Day

Post by scotsgent » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:30 pm

I did one some 6 years ago, so things may well have changed completely since then.

All the participants took their dogs but they were left in the cars all day. The programme was really a demonstration by Dave of the skills needed to establish good training methods. It was mostly discussion followed by demonstration using his dogs.

It was useful but not as then represented in the marketing stuff which gave the impression that you would be working with your own dog.

I travelled 4 hours each way to be there and wouldnt repeat it if the content is the same.

Just sayin' since you asked.

I gave feedback via email after the course to the organisers that they should have been clearer as to the content and method but I never received any response, so they may have changed things, or maybe not!

Cheers, Terry

Clayton1977

Post by Clayton1977 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:56 pm

Thanks Terry. That's quite disappointing that you didn't even get to bring your dog out, sounds like more of a general "here's how to train a dog" then as opposed to addressing individual queries and problems.

Still, that's probably quite useful for someone at the stage I'm at.

Ross

scotsgent

Post by scotsgent » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:03 pm

Ross,

it was useful even if just to show a novice (as i was) what could be acheived - it certainly gave me something to aim for.

BUT - do check with the organisers - maybe now they do more work with your own dogs?

Cheers, Terry

Clayton1977

Post by Clayton1977 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:14 am

That's a good point as well. David would undoubtedly be able to show me what to aim for.

I'll email the organisers when the 2019 day is announced (currently keeping an eye on the Buccleuch website every few days!)

Ross

scotsgent

Post by scotsgent » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:13 am

Ross,

I've just read the blurb on the website and they are now more accurate in their description and specifically mention not bringing your own dog. They do, however encourage you to bring questions/issues which you may be experiencing in your own training and they say these will be addressed.

i don't think the cost of the day has gone up much in 6 years!

Cheers, Terry

Clayton1977

Post by Clayton1977 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:38 am

That's brilliant Terry, thanks very much for the help! I'll try and get a place next year then.

Cheers, Ross