New puppy

Discuss any aspect of training you have, ask questions, share tips and advice for any breed of gundog.
aziza41
Just Arrived

New puppy

Post by aziza41 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:05 pm

Hi
I need some help and advice as I have a new lab puppy 17 weeks old with two problems
Firstly she won't leave my 9 year old bitch lab alone. She is very gentle and biddable but will see off male dogs on shoots who bother her so she can hold her own but she won't correct the pup who jumps all over her back and does the "bitey face" hanging off her ears until she squeals which still does not stop the pup.i have tried correcting her and leaving them alone for a while but I can't stand by for long as the pup is relentless. Any advice?

Second problem is that she won't bring anything back to my hand but stops just short about a foot away. She is super keen to go out and fetch the ball but each time won't bring it all the way to me. I have set up a retrieving corridor and the same thing happens but at least she can't run away with it. Any ideas?

Naj

Re: New puppy

Post by Naj » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:47 pm

Redirect the pup onto something chewable when you take her off the bitches lug, or you could do a short time out of a few seconds if this doesn’t work. As regards the retrieve you’ve taught the pup that if it brings things back you’ll just rob it so concentrate on giving the pup a ball or toy and encourage it to come for a fuss while it holds on to it then proceed to swapping it for a treat and giving it straight back or swapping it for another toy or ball so the pup no longer sees delivering to hand as an aversive experience. It’s common to be too quick to take things off a pup and this always works against you. Can also be caused by taking stuff away it picks up around the house.

Naj

Springcopse spaniels

Post by Springcopse spaniels » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:41 pm

The bitch will correct the pup, dont you worry about that. They will bide there time, normally around 4-6months she will put it in uts place!
As Naj says about retreiveing to

CockerCanuck
Dogs: Ruadh, Fergal, Hamish

Post by CockerCanuck » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:50 pm

Let dogs be dogs, they are far more developed in their canine social network than we are in understanding it and, in my experience, our interference only complicates things and makes them worse. If it really bothered your older bitch I beleive she would correct the pup and probably in an precisely appropriate way.

Springfield Pointers

Post by Springfield Pointers » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:42 am

The bitch will sort out the pup in due course.
Regarding the retrieving, turn it into a game and don't react to the pup not doing it right, it's not bred into the dog to retrieve to hand. Get the pup enthusiastic to play your game, don't get drawn in to playing his. Let the pup be a pup.

Rough_mut

Post by Rough_mut » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:04 pm

Rightly or wrongly I used treats to get the delivery to hand. I know some say that you will always have to use treats if you do this but you don't. Mine now spits treats out if I try to give him them! I wouldn't be overly concerned at that age though, keep it fun and don't vote the dog with too much

PRH
Dogs: Willow and Tarka

Post by PRH » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:02 pm

You learn more with each dog and get to appreciate the different rates at which they mature. 17 weeks is no age so I wouldn’t think of these things as problems. The pup has shown she is keen to retrieve so I’d give it a break, and I’d also get rid of the ball (just a personal view), maybe use a puppy dummy or knotted socks when you return to it. You could try giving her the dummy / socks, letting her hold it (and wander around proudly with it as they do). Make a fuss of her when she comes to you but don’t take it from her. Over time she will appreciate you don’t always take it away from her. Short sessions, a couple of minutes a few times a day work well. Best of luck, enjoy it. 👍

Judy
Co-Admin

Post by Judy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:55 pm

Moved this into the training section.
If the pup is getting too over the top I'd intervene, distract the pup and give it something else to do for time out. Some pups don't know when to stop and if the older bitch is placid I would tend to encourage calmness after a while, especially if the old girl is yelping.
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.

newf

Post by newf » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:02 pm

Judy wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:55 pm
Moved this into the training section.
If the pup is getting too over the top I'd intervene, distract the pup and give it something else to do for time out. Some pups don't know when to stop and if the older bitch is placid I would tend to encourage calmness after a while, especially if the old girl is yelping.
Totally agree, accept with this time out thing; wild pup at 4 and half months won't be phased much even with a toy. Lets face it, a toy which is lying around all the time versus tormenting a real dog? :snooty: Positive reinforcement here at its best and high value too...which would you pick? :think:

Furthermore, if the older dog reacts and snaps, she is being negatively reinforced and much more likely to snap with less hesitation with not only the pup but other future dogs. But back to Judy's point, about a dog being placid is one possibly of being tormented unfairly, and I'll add, even if the dog wasn't mild, some won't react because they're unrelated to the pup and or trained to not react, more especially in the presence of its owner.

Then too, if I have spent a lot of money on getting just the right pup, I wouldn't be too keen on having my older dog possibly injuring my investment and possibly having a vet bill. :cry: Essentially, it boils down to: I'm my dogs 'benevolent dictator' :) and its my job to control all dangerous behavior for their safety and the safety of others as they grow into maturity. :-D

newf

Post by newf » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:43 am

Here is a video of my two: a 7 year old male lab and an 18 month male springer just being dogs. I enjoy watching them play as much as they seem to, however I can regulate how long it goes on, where it goes on and if too rough, stop it. They’re still happy dogs.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0rfx78f ... Nr2EOrsTeA