The atmosphere

News and Information about this site - Click here to donate
BlackRaven

Re: The atmosphere

Post by BlackRaven » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:20 pm

I have to admit some of the things I've read on here have seemed a bit snipey. It has sometimes put me off posting, as being new you don't want to get off to a bad start or appear an idiot.
I'm a beginner with my dogs but then again so were you lot once. A bit like learning to drive a car, we all had to start at the begining.
I will also add that a lot of txts/typed responses can get misconstrued as you can't see a persons facial expressions or hear the tone of their voice, so you really can't tell how they are intending to be heard.

Bamburi

Post by Bamburi » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:22 am

[quote="BlackRaven"
I will also add that a lot of txts/typed responses can get misconstrued as you can't see a persons facial expressions or hear the tone of their voice, so you really can't tell how they are intending to be heard.
thats where the smiley's come into it :)

One of the few areas of online communication that doesn't seem to attract much attention from forum owners or users alike is the effective use of emoticons to enhance online communication.

Communication - textual or verbal - is not only about sharing information but also carries an inherent emotional aspect with it. Whether we appreciate it or not, we are subtly influenced by the use of non-verbal cues to interpret communication in real life. The same goes for online communication as well. We always try to "complete" the communication from all aspects and apart from the informational value carried in messages, we also look for the emotional cues that lie beneath.

madrags
Dogs: Rowf and Link

Post by madrags » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:15 am

As you would expect, I largely disagree about the smilies. Used sparingly, they may occasionally serve their purpose and make meaning clearer, but this is rare. Many people pepper their posts so excessively, often with conflicting emoticons, that clear meaning is lost. Sticking an emoticon on a rude, sarcastic or abrupt post does not make it polite or courteous. People should take the trouble to use words that will convey the correct meaning.
Inside every springer, no matter how well trained, is an idiot trying to get out

Pink isn't just a colour, it's an attitude

scot-ish
Dogs: yes please

Post by scot-ish » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:47 am

in my opinion.

the biggest difference is age, and how the world is for a 20-30 yer old, compare to a 50-60. there is a big difference in humour, and more or less everything. this is where the problem lies, not so much a problem, but a young person reading a young person post will be less likely to take offence, in comparison to a 60 yer old reading it, in most of the occasions.

I've not been on this forum too long, but from reading people posts, and how they are, i know when i reply to certain people, i need to read, and re-read my post before i press send, because certain folks take light hearted banter a bit on the wrong side, and get upset about it, hence this thread.
An Argumentative Bugger

monsoon

Post by monsoon » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:02 am

madrags wrote:As you would expect, I largely disagree about the smilies. Used sparingly, they may occasionally serve their purpose and make meaning clearer, but this is rare. Many people pepper their posts so excessively, often with conflicting emoticons, that clear meaning is lost. Sticking an emoticon on a rude, sarcastic or abrupt post does not make it polite or courteous. People should take the trouble to use words that will convey the correct meaning.

That is your opinion. Everyone is different...everyone. What some find funny, others will not, how one person reads a post, another will interpret in another way. It's all about opinion...(in my opinion) without these opinions there is no forum, or at least not one with anything or anyone on it worth reading or listening to...(again, in my opinion) :-D :-D :-D I have no want to come on here and read about someone having a problem with a blackbird for over a week :doh: and how to deal with it :think: , although others do :dance: . I have no desire to read of things that involve peoples personal life :sick: , good or bad, although others do :dance: . I enjoy debate, both participating in it and reading it, it's healthy, it's interesting and thought provoking but I also understand that there are people that feel differently, there are people who will shy away from anything that seems a challenge...often for the quiet life, and thats great :clap: ...for them, get on with it, but dont tell me or anyone else how things should be spoken about or written about because it doesnt fit in with how someone else perceives things. If something is written that is personally insulting, obviously personally insulting and something that could not have been meant in any other way then yes, that is different. The trouble is with this forum (in my opinion) is there are two many mamsies calling the shots...my opinion...no doubt some will have been personally offended by the use of the word mamsie :angel:
Last edited by monsoon on Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madrags
Dogs: Rowf and Link

Post by madrags » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:45 am

monsoon wrote:The trouble is with this forum (in my opinion) is there are two many mamsies calling the shots...my opinion...no doubt some will have been personally been offended by the use of the word mamsie :angel:
If I knew what a mamsie was, I might be offended, but I doubt it. I'm sure I've been called a lot worse in my time, but I couldn't care less about the opinion of people who I don't know. As for age differences, I have close friends who are 30 years younger than me and 30 years older than me. Good manners and respect for others is what matters in my opinion, and are not merely restricted to those stricken in years.
Inside every springer, no matter how well trained, is an idiot trying to get out

Pink isn't just a colour, it's an attitude

Bamburi

Post by Bamburi » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:30 pm

madrags wrote:As you would expect, I largely disagree about the smilies. Used sparingly, they may occasionally serve their purpose and make meaning clearer, but this is rare. Many people pepper their posts so excessively, often with conflicting emoticons, that clear meaning is lost. Sticking an emoticon on a rude, sarcastic or abrupt post does not make it polite or courteous. People should take the trouble to use words that will convey the correct meaning.
I knew you would disagree with the smilies and to a certain extent I agree with your comments when smilies are over used,to the less eloquent of us who are unable convey our feelings in words as well as somebody well educated as you its much easier to add a smiley to show our expression :)

winniebob
Dogs: Jill ,Breeze,Bella, Winnie and Gertie.

Post by winniebob » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:53 pm

I’m replying to this thread because I’ve experienced the good and ‘bad’ of this forum. The downside: I’ve actually had to contact the mods to have a post removed. I’ve posted and been told ‘just how it is’ (in someone’s opinion). I’ve also thought about posting a particular thing in case I get ripped to shreds.

The upside: I’ve travelled around miles in the pursuit of my new ‘hobby’ and met wonderful people – all because of this forum. I’ve developed some ‘close’ friends and met people I admire greatly that I’m greedy for their advice. Overall I’ve been given help and advice generously (not always what I wanted to hear) when I’ve asked for it.

Sometimes I wish I’d posted or phrased the question better but ‘we live and learn’. It’s not easy at first but you do learn to work your way through the search engine. And I would say....is it a bad thing to have to look at what you’re asking? God knows I’ve posted some daft questions. But I’ve been taken to task, told I’ve done it wrong / should have known better/or ‘nice post Ali’ and I’ve tried to learn from this.

I love the heated debates......enjoy Paul Spaniel saying ‘that’s shite’ and the arguments ‘opinions’ on trialling/breeding etc that make it all interesting. I read through the bad punctuation/overuse of smiley’s etc and those posts I don’t understand and ‘take what I need and leave the rest’ but there’s always something I learn.

However...as someone has said earlier ‘direct insults’ on someone’s handling/dog etc need to be curtailed. Some people will come on here......post a stupid question and they’ll never even log in again.....some will log back in cos they’re interested/bothered enough to want to learn and these people shouldn’t be put off. When replying to a post (even if it’s been asked 10 times before), answer it nicely, point them in the right direction via a link to a previous discussion........whatever, but don’t be harsh and that can apply to anyone whether aged 20 or 80.

So a fine line....I know ....how to keep the serious debate on here going that is so very valuable and is just what makes the fourm tick for some...........or how to keep the new people interested in getting into the sport logging in to ask ‘my spaniel keeps chasing the park ducks – what do I do?’ happy.

It’s nice to be nice ......yes.....but just as easy to say when/if it gets heated .’We’ll have to agree to disagree’ because .............your opinion, ie ..I think ’you need to keep your dog on the lead.or perhaps you obviously haven’t nailed the stop command quite as well as you think. whatever. If they keep coming back with the same question - instead of losing patience or having a go.......just don’t reply.

Don’t put off the newbies.....but very importantly don’t stop the guys that enjoy the debates from bothering to log in cos there'll be nothing worth reading or engaging in. We’ll end up like ‘workingcockersonline otherwise, nobody posting anything anybody want to read about!!.

Ps ........Scone Game Fair was brilliant, watched the dogs all day, both days.

FizzyWolf
Dogs: Bob (Black Labrador)

Post by FizzyWolf » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:17 pm

winniebob wrote:Ps ........Scone Game Fair was brilliant, watched the dogs all day, both days.
I think your becoming gundog obsessed ...... :nuts: :lol:

Pink Gundog
Dogs: Daisy, Belle, Sweep, Otter, Drake, Sooty

Post by Pink Gundog » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:59 am

Do you know I used to be very enthusiastic about the gundog and shooting world.. But the more I hear and see truly turns my stomach!! I thought it was just me being "Mumsie" but ive never ever in my life seen/heard so many people "Who incidently" are meant to be singing from the same hym sheet be as nasty/spiteful and horrid to, and about others. I now sometimes go out my way a little just to annoy these people and exagerate my opinions and its quite easy to see who are the troublemakers.. people are like glass, you can see right through them.. I was always brought up to treat others the way I would like to be treated but sometimes that doesnt work.. It upsets me really as the gundog and shooting world is my life really as are animals.. I just wish people could accept others for what they are and for what they have or havent achieved and accept it without being angry or jealous. We as a group of people involved withing a world which is having more and more obsticles thrown in our way and for the life of me cannot understand how we can not all learn to live with each other and accept others points of view.

I have been trawling through many gundog/shooting forums etc just as a little excercise and have been abs shocked at the nastyness and slatings that people are getting.. And thats just what ive read.. not taking intoaccountwhat ivepersonally heard :( it leaves a bitter taste in ones mouth. God knows what it looks like to others who are not involved in our sport, probably think we are a right bunch of savages :roll:

I hope it gets better but I doubt it as IMO its getting worse :(
My Attitude is based on how you treat me!!