Gundog security advice

Reports & updates about missing dogs
Darwen
Dogs: Lots

Gundog security advice

Post by Darwen » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:31 am

The Shooting Times ran an article this week about gundog security. The article was about making secure your kennels, with lights, locks etc. The article was written with the assistance of a number of 'experts'. It is only a few weeks since they ran an article about theft of gundogs, the information in the report provided by doglost, who state they have 50 reports a week.

At the time of the previous article I queried this with the ST, because after looking on their website the 50 figure seemed grossly over exaggerated. I have checked again today, and of the first 10 listed most have been lost not stolen, with a couple of exceptions.

My main points are as follows, yes people should take reasonable and sensible precautions, but dont get hung up on it. Even if it were 50 dogs a week, then this would still be less than third of a percent of the amount of dogs in the country.

My argument with the article was that it was scaremongering, and then providing details of expensive non essential security items.

The one thing the article lacked was the most important advice that ALL dogowners should do, and I will try to get to the point.

If a determined thief wants your dog they will take it. If your dog is stolen you will want to do all you can to get it back so you should be prepared for this eventuality.
Often police officers recover stolen property but are unable to locate the owners, because they have never been provided with full information. This is frustrating, as often an offender is with the property, but if no owner can be found, no crime can be made out.

I would urge all to save a file on their computer, or disc etc with the following (up to date info)
1. Good quality photos of the dog, including any unusual markings, include a front and side view of the dog.
2. Details of any scars or other abnormalities of the dogs
3. Details of microchip number / tattoo details
4. Your full details inclusing ALL contact numbers

This file can then be forwarded to all in the eventuality, often people will try to descibe a dog, but a photo that can be printed off is best.
Along with the file, get all the email addresses of who you would need to send it to ie. Police, Local Authority dog wardens, sanctuaries, doglost, vets in local area, friends etc etc you can even set up an email ready. This would mean that within seconds you will get the info out that counts to the right people, who will then be armed with the right information. Include your local newspaper, they have slow news days and will generally run a stolen dog story.

I hope this information (albeit a bit long winded) is of use, and like I say don't get hung up on dog theft, but please be prepared in any case.
My advice is genuine, not like the ST who want to advertise expensive products and seemed to have missed the what if......

Paul.

Judy
Co-Admin

Re: Gundog security advice

Post by Judy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:24 am

In my relatively small circle of friends and acquaintances locally I know two who have had cockers stolen and I know of another local Gamekeeper who had his taken. So, it is on the increase, certainly around here! I haven't read the article but I bought the ST because it was in there! :)
My dogs are all photographed and chipped as were the other dogs I know, only one was reunited with its owner. My money is on security! Mine live indoors as it seems to me house breaking is an offence the Police pay more attention to than kennel break ins. I'll put up with the muck the little swamp monsters drag in with them!

Judy
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.

alward

Post by alward » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:17 am

Paul,

I agree with the identification and holding records etc in the event of your dog being stolen/lost etc... can't say I agree with the scare mongering and what would ST get out of advertisement of expensive products?

As a Security Consultant myself, I personally have an alarm system with passive movement sensors, window sensors fitted with integral locks fitted to the top and bottom of each door to my kennels, all this for possibly around £300 that saves the heart ache of having your best friend stolen....lively hood for many kennels...

I would also recommend CCTV with a movement sensor fitted that takes still picture's also during the day night using IR... this is a easy set up and can be connected to the inter-net for £500 ish.. this you can go on line any-where in the world and watch your kennels live time, you can also watch your wife as well...who visits the house while you are away..lol....

Bottom Line I think ST are just trying to make the observation rather than scare mongering...

Darwen
Dogs: Lots

Post by Darwen » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:46 pm

alward wrote:Paul,

I agree with the identification and holding records etc in the event of your dog being stolen/lost etc... can't say I agree with the scare mongering and what would ST get out of advertisement of expensive products?

As a Security Consultant myself, I personally have an alarm system with passive movement sensors, window sensors fitted with integral locks fitted to the top and bottom of each door to my kennels, all this for possibly around £300 that saves the heart ache of having your best friend stolen....lively hood for many kennels...

I would also recommend CCTV with a movement sensor fitted that takes still picture's also during the day night using IR... this is a easy set up and can be connected to the inter-net for £500 ish.. this you can go on line any-where in the world and watch your kennels live time, you can also watch your wife as well...who visits the house while you are away..lol....

Bottom Line I think ST are just trying to make the observation rather than scare mongering...
The scare mongering view comes from looking at the dogslost site that the ST is basing the theft figures on. I could only find a small percentage of stolen dogs on there, and of those how many were stolen from kennels? and not outside shops, or in cars ?

I am not suggesting for one minute that people shouldn't take precautions, but the products they are suggesting are way over the top for most households.

They get the advertising features revenue from the full page ads later in the magazine. I have found that most articles they run seem to have adverts later in that are associated to it.

I have got 2 cameras in my kennels, for viewing my dogs as well security, It is IR, and connected wireless to the internet, only cost £120 from Maplins, and my security light cost me a tenner.

Paul.

John Boy55

Post by John Boy55 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:12 pm

We have seen attempted breakins at our shoot, cut locks trying to get to four labs and three springers. Everybody should be aware and sensible about it, the low lifes have sussed out that these type of dogs have serious value so we should all be mindfull

SpanielOwner

Post by SpanielOwner » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:29 pm

I was advised (as there were some thefts of 'pedigree dogs' in the local area, in large parks and estates where we all go for long walks) to make sure the dog is chipped and dogtagged BUT to make sure that the tag DOES NOT say the dog's name. It should have your contact info and name etc but if thieves see the dog's name on a tag they will use the dogs name to call it to them and take it in broad daylight and while you are watching from a distance!

Friends of mine have a tag that says 'MICROCHIPPED. PLEASE SCAN ME!' and their name and number elsewhere.

Don't know if this is just scaremongering or not. Unfortunately, my dog has a tag with his name on it, but I might be made to rethink this if the thefts increased.

Rookie

Post by Rookie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:35 pm

If anyone gets close enough to actually read the dogs tag, then I'm thinking they probably already have the dog in their hands. :think:

If they then want to take it they'll do so, regardless of whether they know it's name or not. :(
Happiness is where we find it, but rarely where we seek it.

ninah
Dogs: Anya, Storm, Isla and Betty

Post by ninah » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:45 pm

I agree but 'pretending' the dogs is the thieves own might be a little trickier if they didn't have the dogs name on the collar. Note to self must get dogs tags.

Sal

Post by Sal » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:00 pm

Please make up a file with photos, microchip number tattoo number etc and email it to yourself, then save it. You can then access the details from any computer, anywhere if you are miles from home or on holiday, and have left the dog in the care of someone else, for instance....or lost it when at an event.

lisa08
Dogs: Sprocket, Sam and Lizzy

Post by lisa08 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:38 am

What a good idea sal, i really must get organised, i dont even have pup insured yet... still ive only had her 9 wks.....!! all it takes is a phone call for goodness sake...... its just rememebring to pick the phone up.... :doh: :doh:
Live life to the full, at all times.............