Hello from Devon.

Introduce yourself here
Dartmoordog
Dogs: Monty (Sprocker) Steeno (ESS) coming soo

Hello from Devon.

Post by Dartmoordog » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:22 pm

Hello everyone, please let me introduce myself.

My name is Mike and I live right on the edge of Dartmoor, in the National Park, I am a retired Water Bailiff and have been working Spaniels for sometime now, and I am about to get another ESS puppy, it is only 2 weeks old so another 6 or 7 weeks before we pick him up.

I am not new to training Spaniels, this one being my fifth, but my current dog, Monty the Sprocker, is now 10 years old, and like most of them he has suddenly got old bless him. He has been a wonderful companion in the shooting/beating field, but he struggles with a full day, luckily I also have my daughters ESS who is a few years younger, so he is my go to dog for this and next season. Monty will enjoy a very well earned retirement now, with just the odd drive until it is time for him to sit in front the fire.

The trouble is I have forgotten many of the basics! So I may dip into you guys for some advice, you are never too old to learn.

I run the beating line on my local shoot and beat on another. Nothing big, a good day for us is 40/50 birds, I muck in with the feeding and really enjoy the social side too.......My wife thinks too much sometimes. 👍🍺🍷. I also like a bit of Stalking and pest control with my .243 or .22 for those rabbits.

I currently have Training Spaniels by Joe Irvine, a great book, but is there another you think I should get?

Cheers like minded friends, look forward to engaging with you all.

Dartmoordog.
Be careful what you say about my wife or kids, be VERY careful what you say about my gundogs.

ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Re: Hello from Devon.

Post by ips » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:38 pm

Hi mike
Welcome to the forum. I cant advise as I am a novice at this gundog mallarkey but the other folk on here are very knowledgeable. 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

Dartmoordog

Post by Dartmoordog » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:13 pm

Thanks ips, we all have to start somewhere and a forum such as this is a wonderful source of advise, being amongst like minded people.
Be careful what you say about my wife or kids, be VERY careful what you say about my gundogs.

ips

Post by ips » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Dartmoordog wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:13 pm
Thanks ips, we all have to start somewhere and a forum such as this is a wonderful source of advise, being amongst like minded people.
Indeed 👍

Sam&Maverick
Dogs: Maverick Fox Red Lab

Post by Sam&Maverick » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Evening Mike, I’m a fellow Devon resident stuck in Plymouth so maybe not that far from you, depending on what side of the Moor you are on?
I can only hope that I am half the man my dog thinks I am.

Dartmoordog

Post by Dartmoordog » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:02 pm

I am on the southern side, so not too far from you.

newf
Dogs: Jed (yellow lab) Piper (Ess)

Post by newf » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:10 pm

Since you like Irving, then of course Keith Erlandson's book, Gundog Training would be a good complement.
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." Albert Einstein :whistle:

westcountry
Dogs: Fluppy,Daniel,Patches,Marsha ,Marcie.

Post by westcountry » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi Mike,I am just up the road on Exmoor,enjoy the forum,almost everyone on here is genuine and mean well. Beware of Tony and people selling discount training shoes.

ips

Post by ips » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:59 pm

I need some trainers, who do I pm for em 😁

mandy-b
Dogs: Lucan

Post by mandy-b » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:24 pm

Hi and welcome from another Devonian. I'm in East Devon near Honiton but was originally from Ashburton on the edge of the moor.
Mandy, Lucan & Ash (Black Labs)