Newcomer

Introduce yourself here
jknott
Just Arrived

Newcomer

Post by jknott » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:48 pm

Hi I am a new member and hoping members on here can help me with some advice and information. We are wanting a labrador pup but have a number of questions.
Firstly what are the pros and cons of a male or female lab, particularly regarding temperament? and does colour make a difference?
Is it possible for a lab to be a gentle loving family pet AND a working dog or is it one or the other?
Ideally we are wanting a pup around mid December as we have a couple of holidays booked before then. Is it possible to find out in advance when good breeders are planning litters? All the adverts I have seen online appear after the pups are born, but I have also read that if we are looking for a bitch we need to get on a waiting list?
I would be grateful for any help. Thanks John

Gundogs11
Dogs: Labs, springers and cockers

Re: Newcomer

Post by Gundogs11 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:54 am

Welcome! These are my thoughts- everyone's will differ!
Male vs female. I keep both and would be hard pushed to say that one is better. I find the males easier to train as they just 'do' whereas the girls sometimes ask "why?". Bitches come in to season twice a year. The law of sod says that both of these will be in the shooting season, so you lose your dog for 6 weeks of the season. Some dogs can 'bitch' which can be a pain in the ar*e, but this may be to do with how they are brought up.

A lab can certainly (and should be) both a working dog and a gentle loving family pet. The only drawback is if you have others in the family playing fetch with the dog which can mess up your training, or letting it chase game out on walks.

We have a litter for sale at the moment and have 3 phone calls a day asking for a bitch pup. I don't know why so many people want a bitch over a dog unless they are planning on breeding from her. We don't offer a waiting list as we only breed one litter every 2 years. Some of the bigger kennels may have a waiting list you could join. Saying that there are a lot of litters of lab pups with bitches available on Facebook groups. Don't be in a hurry to buy the first one you see though- check the parents are the kind of temperment you want and that both parents are fully health tested.

Lots more to say, but should be working!
Last edited by Gundogs11 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trekmoor
Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Re: Newcomer

Post by trekmoor » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:01 pm

Gundogs11 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:54 am
Don't be in a hurry to buy the first one you see though- check the parents are the kind of temperment you want and that both parents are fully health tested.
I completely agree with Gundogs11 post and will only add ....along with health tests and temperament .......make certain that both the pups parents actually do work ! Some people will tell you anything to sell a puppy !

Welcome to the forum.

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.