possibility of working her

Discuss any aspect of training you have, ask questions, share tips and advice for any breed of gundog.
ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Re: possibility of working her

Post by ips » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:01 pm

SEASON 3 SHOOT 4 ESTATE

she is getting much calmer when we stop mid beat, she is also getting calmer at the flush point. Still don't have as reliable a loose heel that I would like, as in staying within a few yards of me when we are tapping birds in but I am working on it. This week on occasions i put a three metre training line on her and let her trail it, it was much less stressful for me, negotiating obstacles was easier without a slip lead in your hand and less stressful because I felt like I had an emergency brake. If she started drifting from loose heel or ignored a stop I just stood on the line. This is a short term training aid and although it feels like a cop out (to a degree) and although I may look less than professional to the other beaters I don't really care as it wont be my dog that runs in at the flush point, pegs a bird or loses its head mid drive putting birds up just as the keeper comes over the radio saying "everybody stand" 😲

on the occasions that I slipped her lead and hunted her in cover (bramble mainly) she was much better, more compliant to recall and did not push through and pull out looking for more birds like she has in the past.

we or rather she had two retrieves whilst sweeping up after a couple of drives. One dead one delivered to hand and released on "dead" command one a pricked bird delivered but not released without making her, it seems that she doesn't like to release her grip on an undead bird, not sure what to do about this.

anyway a nice day, we stayed dry and a good wind had the birds flying very well presenting very sporting birds to the guns who shot a bumper day 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

ips

Post by ips » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:35 am

SEASON 3 SHOOT 5 ESTATE

ips

Post by ips » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:40 am

SEASON 3 SHOOT 3 SYNDICATE

1st drive

beating this drive, all went well nothing to report.

2nd drive

shooting this one, had two birds over that weren't gimmies , missed both. Then two of us with dogs looked for two birds down in a field of long grass over a stream, both found by eze and delivered to hand. (1st vid below)

3rd drive

beating, nothing to report apart from she did go deaf half way through the drive so we "had words" other than that hunted well enough.

4th drive

shooting this one had a high dead straight pheasant, hit with first barrell, a good shot I thought as it folded and tumbled to the ground landing ten yards behind me. Eze broke rank and ran in for the first time ever, she was on the bird as it landed. Too my surprise it was far from dead (did she know 😞) she chased it for five yards along a dry stone wall then after she had a good hold delivered it to hand in a state of deadness. Another bird between me and gun to my left, I made the call that it was more mine than his and two barrells dropped it behind the wall. (2nd vid below) She stayed steady, sat hup despite other dogs running about. Ten minutes passed then I sent her out, it was a long retrieve for her and it showed at the last twenty yards (3rd vid below)

5th drive

beating, she hunted well no real issues.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CqtCQKH-3ng

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eQFjg4A3foo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3PrzJD0Tk1o

ips

Post by ips » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:42 am

SEASON 3 SHOOT 6 ESTATE

Aimeetess
Dogs: Cocker

Post by Aimeetess » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:16 pm

Can't watch the vids as in work so will have to watch those later but love the reports on her!

Keep posting!

ips

Post by ips » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:19 pm

Flippin eck.
Had the offer to go beating at a syndicate shoot in Cheshire today quite a posh affair with full time keeper. But eze came into season yesterday what a drag, keeper was really short on beaters so I went anyway and bashed about. Felt very odd being out without her oh and it was chuffing cold and wet.
I will now beating dogless for the next few shoots 😒

Judy

Post by Judy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:51 pm

Nowt worse than walking without a dog!
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.

westcountry
Dogs: Fluppy,Daniel,Patches,Marsha ,Marcie.

Post by westcountry » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Vids are nice mate ,thanks for putting them on. Damned shame she has come in season this time of year. Got one entered in trials and praying she doesent come in season but apparently many bitches are this year. Didnt stop one guy with a Labrador today though,brought his bitch out any way.

ips

Post by ips » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Judy
Indeed, I felt totally lost without her. She would have worked well on the shoot it was sort of between my syndicate and the estate as far as number of birds and cover.

West country
Thank you. Yes its a drag but what can you do.

newf
Dogs: Jed (yellow lab) Piper (Ess)

Post by newf » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:30 pm

Doing a great job Ips. :)
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." Albert Einstein :whistle: