Ghillie's Report Card

Discuss any aspect of training you have, ask questions, share tips and advice for any breed of gundog.
Naj

Re: Ghillie's Report Card

Post by Naj » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:25 pm

Quite agree. So sorry to hear this, Wullie. It never gets any easier. :(

Naj

h&t

Post by h&t » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:10 pm

:(

MDP

Post by MDP » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Sorry to hear about Billy and Charlie mate!

Mike
Don't be backwards at going forwards

Col
Dogs: Buddy, Ruby

Post by Col » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:44 pm

Sad news. I read Charlie's chatter from start to finish last year and learnt a great deal from it, feel like I know the dog a bit as well! Will certainly miss reading about his exploits.

trekmoor
Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Post by trekmoor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:49 pm

Billy was put to sleep this afternoon and I feel horrible. Charlie got a reprieve as he is still as happy as a croc in a swimming pool and is still very lively. Billy was given to me as a present when he was 4 years old, I'd like a few more presents as good as he was.
He was very good at retrieving and was completely soft mouthed for his entire life . He was also a very hard going hunter and was always totally silent even in very "hot" situations.

He was what I would call a "gentleman's gundog" .....always there and always willing but never intrusive. My wife and I will miss him.

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.

Jelinga
Dogs: Drift and Rourke

Post by Jelinga » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:02 pm

I am so sad for you and your wife. Billy sounds to be a dog in a million and obviously lived his life to the full, it is us who are left who grieve, but Billy knew that every moment alive was the very best for him x

trekmoor

Post by trekmoor » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:11 pm

Oakbank - 9 .45 a.m. - snowing heavily and gale force winds.

Dogs - Charlie, Edge and Ghillie

My wife went with me on this walk/training session as soon as she heard where I was going. She has been there a couple of times before and knows that this area of rough ground is all small hills, thorn bushes, trees, brambles, gorse thickets and a few thousand acres of marsh grass , the stuff I call spike grass. It's a big area and I think my wife thought I would try to cover a bit too much of it and get myself into difficulties.

I have always loved the place, it is very good training ground for any kind of gundog. My wife need not have worried, I ran out of puff after covering less than 100 yards and had to sit down just 50 -80 yards further on. I ended up doing very simple marked retrieves with the dogs of only 15 -20 yards among the spike grass. All of the dogs did this very well especially Edge who also ran-in twice ....taking Ghillie with him ! :roll: In days of yore I would have been after him and Ghillie before you could blink but now I just had to sit there with the wind driven snow coming sideways at me and nurse my temper !

Edge is a puzzle of a dog. He has now done two shooting seasons as a picking up dog without running in but throw a dummy and watch the bugger go ! He is more of a retrieve fanatic than most labs ! The thing that interests me about his run-in for dummies is that a run in is far more likely if I make an overarm throw . I've had this happen with several of the dogs I've previously trained.....steady to an underarm throw but more likely to run in to an overarm throw. It must excite a dog more ? ....or maybe it's just me this happens to ?

I ended this session by throwing 3 dummies - underarm - and then walking all 3 dogs back towards my car at heel. My wife was a bit surprised by how well they all did this ! I turned at 50 -60 yards and then sent Charlie back first as I wanted to make things easy for him......age hath it's privileges ! He was out and back with a dummy very quickly. Ghillie was sent next and was about as quick as Charlie delivering the dummy with her famous leap into my midriff ! My wife wants that to stop , I suppose it does knock the wind out of me.

Edge was the last dog to be sent and I expected him to take a bit longer to find that last dummy but he was out and back again with the dummy in even less time than the other two dogs. I walked the dogs at heel back to the car while wheezing and puffing like an old horse . I probably walked less than 300 yards in total but that was all I could do.

The snow has gone off now ....it is raining instead and the wind is still very strong so I don't think I will be out again today. I feel quite despondent that I can no longer make good use of all that training ground. It has a few wild bred pheasants on it, one or two small coveys of partridge , a few rabbits , a few deer and a lot of snipe at certain bits of it .....surprisingly I have never seen a hare there . The lads with the lurchers probably wiped them out years ago. It was and is very good training ground especially for the HPR's , no "tame" birds up there and a lot of ground to be covered to find anything at all. It's a far cry from what a lot of the HPR folk would want to train their dogs over but it is what those breeds are meant for.

I managed to train several HPR's to field trial standards on places like that . Woods and fields teeming with game are not needed to train an HPR . I prefer the "wild places."

Wullie

stuboi
Dogs: Shadow, jäger

Post by stuboi » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Sorry to hear about Billy.
I know what you mean about the birds up Oakbank. I take my wirehaired pointer there and he's only just starting to get to grips with them, They don't hang around!!
Funny you should say about hares. I've not been going there long(new to the area) however last week my dog put one up over that way. It was on the big cattle field over the back of the industrial estate. That is the only one i have seen in what i would consider perfect ground for them.

Stuboi

trekmoor

Post by trekmoor » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:04 pm

There are a few fields near to Bannatynes fitness place up thataway where I see the occasional hare . I have encountered a few woodcock and one or two pheasants there too but it was snipe I really went there for. At the right times of the year parts of a few of those fields are heaving with them ! I 've seen as many as 80 snipe all get up in a oner with a few individual snipe still sitting tight.

If you are new to this area, have you been on the ground between Pumpherston and Roman Camp yet ? It was my favourite place when hunting my GSP's and brittanies. It holds game of various kinds in small, well scattered, quantities . There are rabbits, snipe, woodcock, pheasants and deer there and one or two very hard to find coveys of partridge. I haven't been on there for at least a year though because I cannot walk far enough now and because the council has been destroying a lot of the games habitat by building roads and whatnot in parts of it.

There is also a hare or two in the fields bordering the "Starbank" stretch of road.....between the road and the big pond. If you go there watch out for cattle. There are also a few pheasants and snipe on that ground but beware of nesting ducks ! I've lived in this area for 15 -16 years now and I hunted this area long before that as I knew some of the local men like Ian Sayers (now deceased) and Tom Brechney who is still going strong.

There is plenty of land to hunt on in this area .....but , for the most part, the game around here is very scarce.
That's one of the reasons why my HPR's and even my spaniels aren't boot polishers ! :lol:

Wullie

stuboi
Dogs: Shadow, jäger

Post by stuboi » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:30 pm

I have not been that way i will have to take a look. There is certainly plenty of land about, even if it does seem to all being built on!
It does seem to lend it self to a dog that can cover a lot of ground and use its nose. My lad is a way off yet but am enjoying getting him there.

Cheers

Stuboi