Ghillie's Report Card

Discuss any aspect of training you have, ask questions, share tips and advice for any breed of gundog.
trekmoor
Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Re: Ghillie's Report Card

Post by trekmoor » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:46 pm

My knackers are working just fine . :whistle:

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.

Judy
Co-Admin

Post by Judy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:26 pm

But could the train take the strain?
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.

Judy
Co-Admin

Post by Judy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:26 pm

What is this forum coming to! :o :shock: :? :lol:
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.

trekmoor

Post by trekmoor » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:07 am

I'm just back from attending the funeral service of an old friend. She and I went dog training , testing and trialing and picking up together for about 43 years. I have many memories of her one of them being when we went picking up on a grouse moor. It was a fairly small shoot with just 6 guns and they were transported from one set of grouse butts to the next on a partially caterpillar tracked vehicle. There was no room left in it or on it for us lowly pickers up so when the time came to move to another drive she and I hooked our walking sticks to a rail on the back of the vehicle and then had to run along behind it for 1/2 a mile or so each time.

We sort of half loped half ran over the heather with the vehicle helping to pull us along and with our Labradors running to heel alongside us ! I wonder what the health and safety folk and the shoots insurance companies would make of that nowadays ? Gawd I was one fit bugger back then !

Yesterday my wife and I took a sack of puppy food out to my daughters house and I got a chance to see the pup she picked up last Sunday now that he has settled in to his new home. He (the pup) has now well and truly come out of his shell. He tripped my wife up by grabbing hold of her shoe laces and when I bent over to talk to him he snatched my hat right off my head then "killed it" stone dead while I did my best to save it .....I now need a new hat !

I tried persuading him to retrieve again too. I used a small cuddly toy and he bounded out to it, pounced on it from 2-3 feet away and then absolutely massacred it ! I think he throws back to what I used to see GSP's behave like and their behaviour with birds being fetched was what persuaded me to buy a Brittany and most decidedly not a G.S.P. as my first ever HPR !

His entire 5 generation pedigree contains not even one "red inked" dog or bitch in it and I am inclined to think that our British hpr trials have, over the years since this breed was first introduced here, helped quite a bit to reduce the very considerable degree of hard mouth that used to be prevalant even in the trial dogs ......even in some of the F.T.Ch.'s if truth be told !

The standards of trial judging had to be changed before the dogs being bred from changed and when that gradually and somewhat reluctantly happened many of the "old guard" got sort of phased out and the pups being bred began to improve.....a bit !
This particular pup doesn't seem to have any trial tested dogs in his ancestors at all so maybe he will be "old school ?" I hope not for I would like to include him in my picking up team. My cocker "Charlie" is coming to the end of his picking up days and he is my only remaining long range pheasant finder . I was hoping this GSP pup could take his place.

I will continue to train this pup as a retriever but so far he shows no signs of wanting to do anything other than kill anything thrown for him. We shall see ......... :whistle: :think:

Wullie

trekmoor

Post by trekmoor » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:34 pm

Ghillie came into season last weekend and she is now residing at her uncle Charlie's (Cuda's) home for pestilential dogs. That gives me 2 -3 weeks in which I can begin to try to persuade my daughter's GSP pup that it might be a good idea to retrieve the little dummy I have tossed for him after he has finished killing it !

That pup got dumped off on me this morning and my wife promptly declared she was going shopping .... I was left with the pup.
A few moments ago I took him into the garden to make a start to his (I hope) career as a retriever. I had decided to go for "doorstep retrieves" right from the start. If something is tossed for him in the house or in the garden he sometimes decides he'd rather go off to kill something else entirely or he decided to kill it and then run off with it to rip it to bits in a cosy corner of the house or garden.
Today I gave him 3 hours to decide upon a cosy corner inside the house and then gave him the chance to get to it with a dummy thrown into the garden from the doorstep of the house.... I left the house door open right behind me as I tossed the dummy into the garden as I sat on the doorways steps. In order to reach his chosen corner inside the house he would have to encounter me first !

I sat on the step , getting a very wet backside as I did so, it is drizzly here. Then tossed the dummy while ensuring this was done at the pups eye level. It fell just 12 feet away in the garden but that is more than enough. He went for it , pounced on it, gave it a quick few shakes then began to carry it towards the open house door ....and me. I intercepted him , praised him then simply held onto the dummy until he chose to release it.

I repeated this and got exactly the same result so I stopped at that as another throw might have made him think of taking the dummy to a corner of the garden instead of the house in order to finish killing it.

I feel ridiculously pleased with how well the "doorstep retrieve" worked even though I have done this with many pups always with good results. My next stage is to repeat this and then try to assess when I can begin to give him more than just two throws and then to do the retrieve with the door behind me closed.

From there I will have to use one of the garden chairs placed at the foot of the steps as he ....hopefully....returns with the dummy and from there I will begin to move the chair very gradually away from the steps and the door to try to get him to retrieve from anywhere in the garden to anywhere in the garden.

I've had a happy knack of turning dogs that were iffy retrievers into keen retrievers all of my life , I hope this pup will be no different. I also hope that as his enthusiasm for retrieving increases, his enthusiasm for killing his retrieves first will decrease !!!

Wullie

MDP

Post by MDP » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:10 pm

sounds like business as usual. Talking of retrieving, the donkey (Bracco) pup brought me back a half decayed fox carcass last week. She also had a successful point on one of the kids bikes at the bottom of the garden! Despite all this, Luna is growing me and i do like her clownish nature. It's a lot more relaxing with her than the spanners

Mike
Don't be backwards at going forwards

trekmoor

Post by trekmoor » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:17 pm

My wife returned from the shops and it was my turn to get away from the pup but I didn't. Curiousity got the better of me and I went out into the garden with him this time armed with a 5 feet length of cane, about 5 feet of string and half a white poly bag. I wanted to see if he would point a "wing on a string." He is a wee bit old for that sort of stuff but when I see a pup intensely pointing on the "wing" or poly bag or strip of cloth it always makes me smile.

He made about 4 full on charges at the wing and then pointed it and continued to point it every time I tried it for the next minute or so....... He will point.

Then I tried him with the doorstep retrieve again and he did not return with the dummy. It was only then that I realised my wife had closed the house door behind me taking away his "chew it to bits place" inside the house. I opened the door, called him and he came running for the open door bringing the dummy with him. I gave him one more retrieve after making sure the door remained open and he did what I wanted and came straight back to that open door .....and me and some praise.

Hi Mike......betcha my pup poos more than yours ! :lol:

Wullie

trekmoor

Post by trekmoor » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:24 am

My daughter dropped off her GSP pup on me again this morning, I let him have a sleep then took a look at the calander. My daughter has somehow managed to get his age wrong......he is 10 - 11 weeks old not 12 -13 weeks. I was a bit surprised last Friday when he responded to the "wing on a string" .....previous pups I've had lost interest in it and would no longer point it by the time they were 12 weeks old ....the age I'd thought he was. It was this that had prompted me to check his date of birth with the calendar.

I decided to bash on anyway and gave him a doorstep retrieve into the garden. He went out fast to it but then began to "kill it" no matter how much I tried to entice him. I'd half expected this to happen as my daughter and her family plus my wife have all been tossing toys for him and then leaving him to chew the hell out of them .

There's not much I can do about that, he is not my pup.

I took my camera out of it's box where it has resided for nearly a year and the battery was flat. It was then I realised I could no longer remember how to recharge the battery or which of the cables etc. that came with it are meant for use in this country. I spent an hour studying the info that came with the camera and that succeeded only in confusing me even more !
The camera has got far, far too many buttons and levers and dials..... I can't remember which does what ! :brickwall:

Eventually I managed to make the camera work .... I think, and then tried another doorstep retrieve or two. He did the same as earlier today , he massacred the little dummy and then he massacred the paint roller I tried next. I have the photographs to prove it ! :roll:

I gave him a try with the wing on a string and he pointed instantly on that but not with the same intensity as he'd shown last Friday. He is maybe beginning to get past the age where it would interest him ..... I took a few pics of that too but they may be rubbish ..... it ain't easy to work a camera while also "working" a wing on a string while also watching a killer pup !

If I ever remember how to transfer pics from the camera onto the computer site and from there onto here I will post them in.

Wullie

trekmoor

Post by trekmoor » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:17 pm

I gave the pup another try at retrieving this afternoon, this time with a bit more success. I used a tennis ball this time as he would be unable at his present age to tear lumps from it ! He did two good retrieves then began to mess about on the third one so I stopped at that.

I also let him meet Edge and then Charlie. Edge was very good with the pup but Charlie got fed up being treated as a play article after a few minutes and handbagged the puppy. It probably did the pup the world of good, he now knows not all dogs will accept being chewed on ! Charlie did no damage at all to the pup, he just growled ferociously as he pinned the pup down for a few seconds. After that the pup was much more restrained around Charlie !

Wullie

Nickheref

Post by Nickheref » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:19 pm

trekmoor wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:17 pm
It probably did the pup the world of good, he now knows not all dogs will accept being chewed on ! Charlie did no damage at all to the pup, he just growled ferociously as he pinned the pup down for a few seconds. After that the pup was much more restrained around Charlie !

Wullie
I often think the same although usually it is an old bitch here who spells out the facts of life to a boisterous pup, although I cannot prove it I often think the pups notice that a dog they have learnt to respect defers to me. No aggro or anything like that but they just see that when I ask the dog they regard as above them in the scheme of things to do something it does and just a little bit of it rubs off very early on!