New puppy - back in action :)

Discuss any aspect of training you have, ask questions, share tips and advice for any breed of gundog.
Lloyd90
Dogs: Ted

New puppy - back in action :)

Post by Lloyd90 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:09 pm

Hello all,

I’ve been off this forum for some time as I went back to study and haven’t had a dog for years (my ones I was previously training remained with my parents, who had spilt them rotten even when training :brickwall: ), now settled in my own home and recently acquired a springer from Dave Hodgson and he’s a nicely bred little dog :)

Hoping to get back into the training and super excited already!

I’ve had him a week (9 weeks old now) and already he sits for his food at hup and a raised hand.
Haven’t done much else as not finished all his jabs yet so we aren’t going out.

He comes when he’s called and will retrieve a small ball or toy but keeping this very limited - maybe 1 - 2 received every 2-3 days.

Can anyone recommend at what age I can start doing various other bits? It would be useful to know when people do things like, waiting (stay) before moving for food etc?

Hoping to make this one a good’un, I’ve also moved to Bristol and have smite Shooting than in Wales, but intend to join some clubs and societies so if he is good I will try and get some working tests in future and see where we go from there :)

Glad to be back!!

Lloyd

Judy
Co-Admin

Re: New puppy - back in action :)

Post by Judy » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Welcome back! If you are gentle and do things in play you can start training now. Just keep him sitting a touch longer (but don't expect a long wait at his age) before putting his bowl down. Recalls for grub, hunting the short grass around your feet for his kibble, once they sit in front of me, I chuck some food for hand signals, thats a fun game, left, right and back. Even my 12 year old will play that one. It just gets them used to going where you point. You can even get them following a bit of food into the heel position.
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.

westcountry
Dogs: Fluppy,Daniel,Patches,Marsha ,Marcie.

Post by westcountry » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:36 pm

Be a nice well bred pup from Dave I would think.

Lloyd90

Post by Lloyd90 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:15 am

westcountry wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:36 pm
Be a nice well bred pup from Dave I would think.
Thanks mate,

He’s from Dave’s OFTW - Killhoppmoss pepperpot sired by FTW Barcudern spirit of criscipo.

When I initially was looking I saw many dogs who’s breeding was nothing amazing and many of them weren’t even worked all that much, and they were more expensive than what I paid for a pup off Dave! So o figured I’d like to give myself the best chance possible and why not, at least then if he’s no good I know it’ll be down to me lol!

Got my applications to do for a few spaniel clubs over next few weeks now :)

westcountry
Dogs: Fluppy,Daniel,Patches,Marsha ,Marcie.

Post by westcountry » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:01 am

Very nicely bred pup indeed. I met Dave on a shoot over day and saw Pepperpot work. Smart little bitch indeed. I think Dave has a novice dog drawn in a trial up here in the next few weeks so I may bump into him again soon. Nice man who knows his dogs. If you are from the south west then I can give you plenty of introductions to clubs and trainers in that part of the world. P.M. me if interested.

Lloyd90

Post by Lloyd90 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:32 am

westcountry wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:01 am
Very nicely bred pup indeed. I met Dave on a shoot over day and saw Pepperpot work. Smart little bitch indeed. I think Dave has a novice dog drawn in a trial up here in the next few weeks so I may bump into him again soon. Nice man who knows his dogs. If you are from the south west then I can give you plenty of introductions to clubs and trainers in that part of the world. P.M. me if interested.
Where abouts are you based?

I’m in Bristol after moving over here :)