possibility of working her

Discuss any aspect of training you have, ask questions, share tips and advice for any breed of gundog.
ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Re: possibility of working her

Post by ips » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:21 pm

It's possible i suppose CC as it took me a few seconds to get to my feet, however she isnt really one for chasing ground game and none of the other beaters who witnessed it mentioned a chase. As you alluded to it was very very out of character for her. Nothing has been different and nothing has happened recently that could have influenced this behaviour i find the incident very difficult to understand and as you know by now i like to analyze things so its really bugging me.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

Springfield Pointers

Post by Springfield Pointers » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:32 pm

ips wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:21 pm
It's possible i suppose CC as it took me a few seconds to get to my feet, however she isnt really one for chasing ground game and none of the other beaters who witnessed it mentioned a chase. As you alluded to it was very very out of character for her. Nothing has been different and nothing has happened recently that could have influenced this behaviour i find the incident very difficult to understand and as you know by now i like to analyze things so its really bugging me.
ips. You think to much about things that you will not get an answer to. You have already mentioned that she has her moments - all dogs do. It may well have been a chase, it may have been she was pulling on scent. Put it behind you and enjoy your dog. You have put enough work into her.

ips

Post by ips » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:48 pm

Springfield Pointers wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:32 pm
ips wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:21 pm
ips. You think to much about things that you will not get an answer to. You have already mentioned that she has her moments - all dogs do. It may well have been a chase, it may have been she was pulling on scent. Put it behind you and enjoy your dog. You have put enough work into her.
I am sure you are correct SP, i do indeed over think stuff, its a quest for understanding what makes things tick but i suppose with animals there are some things that we will never be able to work out for sure. On the plus side the incident did make me realise that i have maybe let basics slip and possibly got a little complacent given the good start i had this season. The back to basics topic and miesque's post yesterday have helped me to format a game plan which i have implemented over the last two days and things seem to be getting back to some kind of normality. Fingers crossed.
Thank you for your reply 👍

Jelinga
Dogs: Drift and Rourke

Post by Jelinga » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:53 pm

I quote "nothing different had happened" but have you ever fallen over flat on your face before :) Sounds a bit flippant, but you never know, she might have been a little alarmed and then just gone off!

ips

Post by ips » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:30 pm

Jelinga wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:53 pm
I quote "nothing different had happened" but have you ever fallen over flat on your face before :) Sounds a bit flippant, but you never know, she might have been a little alarmed and then just gone off!
Um, i didnt consider that and no i dont remember doing that particular stunt before 😂 this was the last drive and up until then she had worked fine, hunted cover, blanked in various bits, recall was ok but heel wasn't brilliant but that hasnt been too good of late anyway. So you see why i am at a loss to understand what went wrong.
Thanks for reply

munstyman

Post by munstyman » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:50 pm

Jelinga wrote:
As we're talking about a bitch and a cocker, I would pfft about her being alarmed and be more inclined to say she took her opportunity as the mood took her whilst ips was extracting himself from the ground and his attention was elsewhere. :whistle: :lol:
There is nowt wrong with trying to think it through, but as time will tell you there is little chance of you finding a definitive answer as to the whys and wherefores of what happened, as its bound to be a combination of things, and eze did what all dogs do, do what works for them.
Over the years of having bitches, I can say they can be the most erratic of dogs to both train and work with anything like a linear approach. Now I take a much more hen pecked approach and just keep my head down when it falls apart for no apparent reason, and just make the best of those times when they worship the ground you walk on. :pray: The other thing is I've learnt to go with my gut instincts, so if your first thought was it was seasonal hormones I would probably go with that. A reinforcing of basics never did mine any harm, and hormones or not, halfway through the season, might just save the rest of it ;)

ips

Post by ips » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:22 pm

munstyman wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:50 pm
Jelinga wrote:
As we're talking about a bitch and a cocker, I would pfft about her being alarmed and be more inclined to say she took her opportunity as the mood took her whilst ips was extracting himself from the ground and his attention was elsewhere. :whistle: :lol:
There is nowt wrong with trying to think it through, but as time will tell you there is little chance of you finding a definitive answer as to the whys and wherefores of what happened, as its bound to be a combination of things, and eze did what all dogs do, do what works for them.
Over the years of having bitches, I can say they can be the most erratic of dogs to both train and work with anything like a linear approach. Now I take a much more hen pecked approach and just keep my head down when it falls apart for no apparent reason, and just make the best of those times when they worship the ground you walk on. :pray: The other thing is I've learnt to go with my gut instincts, so if your first thought was it was seasonal hormones I would probably go with that. A reinforcing of basics never did mine any harm, and hormones or not, halfway through the season, might just save the rest of it ;)
Thats good advice MM.
Thank you 👍

ips

Post by ips » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:24 pm

PS
I am there again tomorrow so i will continue with proofing the basics as we go along and watch her like a hawk

CockerCanuck
Dogs: Ruadh, Fergal, Hamish

Post by CockerCanuck » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:25 pm

Good luck tomorrow, hopefully the last incident can be just written off as part of the price we need to pay for sharing the field with another sentient being, who shares many of our goals, but also has their own needs, desires and agenda. In my opinion this relationship is much more fun that a pre-programed robot that never puts a foot wrong.

Gundogs have given me great joy over a 60+ year experience with them. (mine and my fathers). I honestly hope God never blesses me with a perfect one: which would spoil the whole carnival.

ips

Post by ips » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:04 pm

Well tues went ok but as i was standing in a field with a flag and the dog on a lead i got to thinking about some of the things that some of our none uk based members have said or enquired about uk beating and how it isnt actually hunting....i got to thinking that on these big commercial days you spend most of the time attempting to stop your dog from hunting therefore in effect it is an exercise in steadiness and serves little purpose other than too wind your dog up . From now on i will stick to dogging in and the syndicate both of which are imo proper dog work, i may also do some days at the small shoot i went on last year as that was like a bigger version of the syndicate shoot and although unpaid was good fun and you could actually hunt the dog. This may well seem a complete about turn and arguably it is but for the record although the "incident" "may" have had some bearing on my current thoughts other things learned from experience took a part. Oh, i will of course still beat on the big local estate from time to.time however thats about four times per season as i am loading / minding more often than not anyway. Funny how standing up a hill in wind and rain with a flag in your hand can put things into perspective