Off days

Discuss any aspect of training you have, ask questions, share tips and advice for any breed of gundog.
munstyman

Re: Off days

Post by munstyman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:51 pm

Yeh just have fun, do something the dog wants to do for a change, it can give you a more balanced outlook on life ;)
Whilst I don't advocate rolling in fox poo, rolling in the long grass in summer just for the hell of it is very therapeutic for dog and handler. Although I did do it once, unknown to me in view of another dog walker who rushed over thinking I had had a heart attack :lol: :lol:
Too sixties for you? Chase, hide n seek, chuckit balls, swimming all are interactive for you and your dog, the important word being interactive, the dog will be happy for that alone. ;)

ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Post by ips » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 pm

Lloyd90 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:50 pm
Springfield Pointers wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:13 pm
Too much retrieving for some dogs can dilute the enthusiasm. Especially if you do drills all the time. Game is a differ3story - I am of the opinion that dogs can never get too much.
However, with regards the OP. Never forget to just let your dogs have their own minds from time to time. By thus I don't mean; allow them to be self employed - but whether it's at home or in the local park, just let them have fun. They don't have to be robots all day and comply to everything you request of them. They need to relax too.
Every now and then I take him to the park and let him off to do as he wants, he runs about a bit but mostly comes and looks at me waiting for a command :lol:
Yep, same as me.
Personally i cant see what impact it would have but what do i know 😏
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Post by ips » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:24 pm

munstyman wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:51 pm
Yeh just have fun, do something the dog wants to do for a change, it can give you a more balanced outlook on life ;)
Whilst I don't advocate rolling in fox poo, rolling in the long grass in summer just for the hell of it is very therapeutic for dog and handler. Although I did do it once, unknown to me in view of another dog walker who rushed over thinking I had had a heart attack :lol: :lol:
Too sixties for you? Chase, hide n seek, chuckit balls, swimming all are interactive for you and your dog, the important word being interactive, the dog will be happy for that alone. ;)
The way i see it is as long as you are the facilitator of what floats pooches boat that can only be a good thing as far as engagement goes ??
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

Naj

Post by Naj » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:35 pm

I used to keep dogs in a monastic lifestyle based purely on work but I don’t any longer and I think I get better results. But I’ve always had an exercise routine for dogs where they were free to be a dog, within boundaries. That’s all I now do with them outside the shooting season. If they choose to interact with me then that’s fine.

Naj

Lloyd90
Dogs: Ted

Post by Lloyd90 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:49 pm

Naj wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:35 pm
I used to keep dogs in a monastic lifestyle based purely on work but I don’t any longer and I think I get better results. But I’ve always had an exercise routine for dogs where they were free to be a dog, within boundaries. That’s all I now do with them outside the shooting season. If they choose to interact with me then that’s fine.

Naj
Would you mind telling me what it is? :)

Naj

Post by Naj » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:43 pm

An exercise routine? I mix letting them have a gallop while I wander around a field with returning to me and perhaps chasing balls or a game of tug if you do that. What I don’t want is for them to switch into hunting mode as they would if we were going shooting. I also get them used to a walking routine, cos I like to go for a walk with them. I let them have a sniff and wander about but keep them close and, again, don’t let them switch to hunting mode. You have to start with more control until they get into the routine and then you can relax a little.

Naj

Springcopse spaniels

Post by Springcopse spaniels » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:05 pm

Naj wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:35 pm

Naj
That saves me a lot of typing
A well schooled dog will open doors, a poor one closes them quickly.

Springcopse spaniels

Post by Springcopse spaniels » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:07 pm

Naj wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:43 pm
An exercise routine? I mix letting them have a gallop while I wander around a field with returning to me and perhaps chasing balls or a game of tug if you do that. What I don’t want is for them to switch into hunting mode as they would if we were going shooting. I also get them used to a walking routine, cos I like to go for a walk with them. I let them have a sniff and wander about but keep them close and, again, don’t let them switch to hunting mode. You have to start with more control until they get into the routine and then you can relax a little.

Naj
And more typing 😂
Don't get involved in "training walks" it's either or, not both.
A well schooled dog will open doors, a poor one closes them quickly.

Judy
Co-Admin

Post by Judy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:16 am

Hmm not sure about that for purely picking up dogs. Doing a wee bit of obedience work or retrieving during a walk has worked for me for a very long time. I suspect its less useful for Spaniels used for Spaniel work. Mind you, if I have a dummy or ball about my person the little beggars cling to me like limpets, walking / pottering is the last thing on their minds.
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.

Naj

Post by Naj » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:48 am

I do keep up the maintenance on manners, recall, stop and a bit of fun retrieving within my exercise and walking routines and that’s all part of the managed part, but the dogs are allowed to do their stuff within those boundaries so I guess that’s a bit like you, Judy. But I saw something recently along the lines of ... every time you are with your dog either you are training it or it is training you .... so as long as that is born in mind there’s plenty of room for flexibility. :think:

Naj