A Hound Story from Canada

Chat about anything off-topic

Re: A Hound Story from Canada

Post by EssGrouse » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Brilliant read.
Without commitment, you'll never start but more importantly, without consistency, you'll never finish.

Dogs: Lily (Dachshund) & Jake (Cocker)

Re: A Hound Story from Canada

Post by Cass » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:03 pm

Great story CC. I have a huge soft spot for hounds although I doubt I will ever own one myself. There is nothing like sitting on your stand on a cold frosty morning and hearing them start tonguing. The hair on the back of your neck stands straight up and then the crashing of bush before a big whitetail jumps out with dogs in tow. We've always had about a dozen although each run we typically only take 3 or 4 dogs. Over the years we have went from mostly beagles to mostly walkers.... and now almost full swing (thank goodness) back to beagles with only a pair of aging walkers in the pack. Although I am a bird hunter through and through, deer season is something special that I have done since I was small with my dad and it has a special place in my heart. As exciting as a big ruffed grouse flushing off the end of Jake's nose is to me, there is nothing as beautiful as the sound of a pack of beagles cutting through a crisp November morning.
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr