Old Spaniels

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
Judy

Re: Old Spaniels

Post by Judy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:23 am

Springfield Pointers wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:24 pm
Dartmoordog wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:17 pm
Hi Judy, I am not sure who told you Labs work harder than Spaniels, but as westcountry said, he must be on something.

Spaniels will cover 2 times the ground a Lab will, and definitely smash themselves through thick cover that a Lab would not even go near. Here on the edge of Dartmoor beating/flushing is Spaniel work, be they Cocker, Springer or Sprocker. I have never seen a marked up Lab like the Spaniels after two days.

Spaniels will suddenly get old and you will notice a rapid decline at 10 or 11, my last lad did his last day at 11, and gone at 13. It is a very gut wrenching decision to retire them from the field, they love it so much, but you have to protect them from themselves.

I am a softy, so my dogs get their much deserved retirement until I make that decision.
I doubt it has much to do with the ground they cover. But either way, they hardly do the same jobs now, do they.
Depends on how stupid the owner is, SP, I, being an idiot, use my Cockers for picking up so, yes, they are expected to do the same job as the Labs. Well better than Labs actually as they get into the cover much more often than most Labs. :lol:

DMD if I thought the old girl was suffering in any way shape or form she would be left at home on her sofa, as it is she is doing a full day's work and is as fine at the end of the day as the rest of them. She is out two days a week picking up, mind you, she might have deliberately cut her foot to give herself a little holiday... :whistle:
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.

westcountry
Dogs: Fluppy,Daniel,Patches,Marsha ,Marcie.

Post by westcountry » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:18 pm

Springfield Pointers wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:24 pm
Dartmoordog wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:17 pm
Hi Judy, I am not sure who told you Labs work harder than Spaniels, but as westcountry said, he must be on something.

Spaniels will cover 2 times the ground a Lab will, and definitely smash themselves through thick cover that a Lab would not even go near. Here on the edge of Dartmoor beating/flushing is Spaniel work, be they Cocker, Springer or Sprocker. I have never seen a marked up Lab like the Spaniels after two days.

Spaniels will suddenly get old and you will notice a rapid decline at 10 or 11, my last lad did his last day at 11, and gone at 13. It is a very gut wrenching decision to retire them from the field, they love it so much, but you have to protect them from themselves.

I am a softy, so my dogs get their much deserved retirement until I make that decision.
I doubt it has much to do with the ground they cover. But either way, they hardly do the same jobs now, do they.
Think we live in different worlds SP. Read lots of your posts and had plenty of good tips from them. I do not doubt for one minute that you know your stuff and can train dogs. Working a spaniel,picking up on a commercial shoot with a 400 bag target is a different kettle of fish. Sweeping up at the end of one drive and one dog brings you 31 birds,you just have to take your hat off to him. Also can shoot over the same dog.

Springfield Pointers

Post by Springfield Pointers » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:35 pm

westcountry wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:18 pm
Think we live in different worlds SP. Read lots of your posts and had plenty of good tips from them. I do not doubt for one minute that you know your stuff and can train dogs. Working a spaniel,picking up on a commercial shoot with a 400 bag target is a different kettle of fish. Sweeping up at the end of one drive and one dog brings you 31 birds,you just have to take your hat off to him. Also can shoot over the same dog.
Thank you, WC, I do sense a "but" in there somewhere :)

The world is a small place these days, and I find myself able to experience a great deal of varied exposure to all things. I am currently enjoying some shooting in the UK, and seen some delightful little dogs!

I certainly agree that picking up requires a dedication and level of input not required in other disciplines.

I do however think that looking for a dog that will do all things well is a trade off. You will eventually be left with something akin to a multi tool. Something that manages all tasks admirably, but does none of them exceptionally.

This is not to say that this would not be a trait that would be greatly sought after, and much treasured. The world of bird dogs would be a dreary place if all dogs were cut to the same cloth.

Judy

Post by Judy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:47 pm

If your picking up 31 birds at the end of a single drive you haven't got enough pickers up at that shoot! Either that or its a very big day.

I don't teach mine to do anything other than retrieve and handle on to retrieves, its a bonus that one or two of them will quarter close enough to be able to use them to blank in drives. Not sure that any of them would be steady if the bird they flushed was shot in plain sight though, I'd rather not test that idea!
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.