Keeps holding a front leg up

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
Aimeetess
Dogs: Cocker

Keeps holding a front leg up

Post by Aimeetess » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:04 pm

Since Harley injured his hind leg at 4 months I’m major paranoid of everything!

He has slight QALs when he sits a certain way or on wooden floor as mentioned before but I mentioned it to every vet he’s seen and they’ve said it may grow normal or won’t affect him, and that it isn’t to bad.

Since he’s been off metacam I’m more paranoid than ever. I’ve noticed if he is sat watching me on a evening or watching something (worse on hard floor) or been told to stay he always holds a front let up, it isn’t one, he alternates it. Not sure if it’s as he’s excited or that something hurts?!

He also plays a bit on the carpet and then lies right down flat which I didn’t notice before.
He isn’t lame and has never limped on a front leg before but I do read into everything. I’ve had one of my horses fully xrayed as he was off for a while and the vets found nothing, costing me a fortune but settled my mind :roll:

Is it common Cocker behaviour or could he have pain somewhere? OR am I reading to much into it? :think:

ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Re: Keeps holding a front leg up

Post by ips » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:37 pm

My one sometimes points when standing but never seen her lift a leg sat up.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

newf
Dogs: Jed (yellow lab) Piper (Ess)

Post by newf » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:44 pm

Don't know about cockers but dogs in general will sometimes hold a front leg cocked if tense from either excitement (ready to go !) or from fear (still ready to go) but polar opposite of the latter because it concerns flight. Perhaps, in your case, he maybe on high alert of you doing something exciting so he keeps an eye out ? :)
"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." Albert Einstein :whistle:

CockerCanuck
Dogs: Ruadh, Fergal, Hamish

Post by CockerCanuck » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:30 pm

I agree with Newf, especially when you say he alternates feet. I see it all the time in my dogs and it is just canine body language for alert or excited. I usually have 3-4 dogs and have noticed when one perks up and looks a direction while lifting a front foot off the ground the others will all look the same direction. He is just communicating "hey check this out, it is interesting!" Perhaps the same instinct drives a pointer to lift a front foot on point, I don't know much about pointing breeds.

Aimeetess
Dogs: Cocker

Post by Aimeetess » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:53 pm

He is always on alert.. so makes sense! Today a pheasant was in a hedge by the stables and he had a leg up pointing with his tail going crazy. Thanks all - you've put my mind at rest for now!