Bumped a hare

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Re: Bumped a hare

Post by ips » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:17 pm

Good post Cass 👍
Interesting stuff, I think your point about anxiety being passed to the dog is correct. I have on occasions noticed that my whistle alters if I get frustrated or anxious.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

Rough_mut

Post by Rough_mut » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:28 pm

Maybe this is the reason I'm always forgetting my whistle....

I had my whistle on a key fob lanyard from work, and I also had another lanyard with a key fob on...

I'd sent my dog for a 'stone dead' bird, which landed near a double fence topped with barbed wire.

I sent him for it but soon realised the bird wasn't as dead as the gun thought and had ran through the fence.

This was mid day, and I went to blow the stop whistle which turned out to my fob for work :brickwall:

The dog jumped the fences regardless but couldn't get back over once he had the bird.

I don't not use a whistle a lot because he's well trained... hes far from that but we don't want close hunting dogs, we also don't always know where the birds will be or even where the dogs have ended up, the plantation is that tight and messy once you have said get on. You watch to see where birds come out to know where your dog is! I'm sure he misses birds but the crashing noises he makes getting through it all is enough to flush me out never mind the pheasants!

When I shot over him, i was definitely on the whistle a lot more just to keep him close, but as the majority of my dog work comes in the form of allowing a mostly ferrel lunatic get stuck in, I would much prefer it this way round than he be like some of the dogs I have seen that need constantly pushing out.

I would of thought with trailing, it is not worth the risk in not whistling, the time and money people have invested to get to that point, why would they not be on the whistle? I seem to recall American retriever trials are scored based on 're directions? Maybe that's the way to go!

Rm

Gundogs11
Dogs: Labs, springers and cockers

Post by Gundogs11 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:20 am

Gundog-ing (that is a real word and in no way related to 'dogging' ;-)!) is a mine field of contradictions :-)
I got marked down in a spaniel test (19/20) as I didn't use my whistle at all so the judge couldn't see if he was even trained to the whistle. Yes, I was a little annoyed.

Judy
Co-Admin

Post by Judy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:52 pm

Gundogs11 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:20 am
Gundog-ing (that is a real word and in no way related to 'dogging' ;-)!) is a mine field of contradictions :-)
I got marked down in a spaniel test (19/20) as I didn't use my whistle at all so the judge couldn't see if he was even trained to the whistle. Yes, I was a little annoyed.
Funnily enough the first time I won a Test the organiser came over to me afterwards and whispered "I've just had a complaint about the winner, they said the handler didn't blow the whistle all day. I told them if the dog is 'with' you you don't need to blow the whistle". I still remember that Test like it was yesterday, she went into the wood, couldn't find the dummy so popped her head back out and 'asked' me for direction, took it and found (thankfully as I couldn't see her!). I also remember the distraction dummy she had to fetch afterwards - straight out, picked, turned and noticed the audience so paraded that dummy past them all, looking at them, tail in the air, "look at me aren't I clever?", little s*d! :lol:
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.