Pigeon

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
Cass
Dogs: Lily (Dachshund) & Jake (Cocker)

Re: Pigeon

Post by Cass » Tue May 08, 2018 1:17 am

Yep that's how we shoot doves and pigeons as well. We just have our dogs where they can see the action :lol:
"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart." - Rex Carr

Springfield Pointers

Post by Springfield Pointers » Tue May 08, 2018 6:58 am

Judy wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:25 am
If the dog is outside the hide it can't see you nor you it. Inside the hide an experienced dog will know pretty much where the bird falls from where the gun is pointing and the sound of the fallen bird plus you have more control over the dog.
This isn't an "in or out" thing. It just means not cutting the dog off from what is going on. Let the dog be part of the action and see what's happening. It will benefit both members of the partnership.

Judy
Co-Admin

Post by Judy » Tue May 08, 2018 7:49 am

Now yer just playing with words! The dog is either inside the hide with you or outside the hide, unless its sitting on yer head that is, or up a tree. :whistle: :lol:
If in the process of winning, you have lost the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing. Paul Elvström.

munstyman

Post by munstyman » Tue May 08, 2018 9:43 am

Dogs have a much more balanced approach to using all the senses that is available to them. Just because we tend to over use one doesn't mean we should operate the dog with the same assumption :think: A dog does not have to have line of sight to feel involved, or marking downed birds on sound alone. ( A blind and deaf dog still has its nose to fall back on as long as you haven't made it too reliant on taking instructions from a waved hanky in the past :whistle: )

trekmoor
Dogs: Too many and not enough !

Post by trekmoor » Tue May 08, 2018 9:49 am

I always had the dog inside the hide with me. Marking was fairly unimportant when pigeons were coming in thick and fast to the decoys. I seldom shot at long range birds and most of the pigeons fell dead and were left there until a lull in the activity and that was when the dog was sent for the fallen birds. It was a bit like "sweeping" following a pheasant drive and the dog would pick the obvious birds first , then the not so obvious ones after which I would direct the dog to where I thought other birds might be.

Sometimes the dog could mark down fallen birds from inside the hide and sometimes it could not but since the dog was rarely sent right after a shot it didn't really matter.

Some dogs get very clever at hide shooting, I used to prop up the first 10 or so pigeons shot on cut down bicycle wheel spokes to add to the decoy pattern. It surprised me how quickly dogs learned to ignore the propped up pigeons and bring back only the ones untouched by my hands.

Wullie
If at first you don't succeed .....find out if there is a booby prize !
-----------------------------------------------------
Don't do what doesn't work - do what does.

ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Post by ips » Tue May 08, 2018 10:31 am

Wullie
Re the "deads" a few times on the first few outings she did bring back a bird i had out as a decoy but after a few "leave that" she got the idea and now it seems she can differentiate between dead decoys and recently shot birds.

Its interesting to read how people approach things differently, particularly the dog in a hide or not in the hide. It reminds me of a thread a few years ago gawp V no gawp on a mark, that also had a split. All i can do is follow advice from my pal pigeon Dave, i can't argue with 50yrs experience.
Last edited by ips on Tue May 08, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Post by ips » Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 am

Springfield Pointers wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:58 am
Judy wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:25 am
If the dog is outside the hide it can't see you nor you it. Inside the hide an experienced dog will know pretty much where the bird falls from where the gun is pointing and the sound of the fallen bird plus you have more control over the dog.
This isn't an "in or out" thing. It just means not cutting the dog off from what is going on. Let the dog be part of the action and see what's happening. It will benefit both members of the partnership.
I believe she is part of the action as you put it., she can see and hear certain birds depending on there flight path. We both sit quietly until some birds aporoach, i then make a "ssh" sound and she turns into a statue she moves her eyes instead of her head and watches me intently as i take the shot. Then she either gets sent for a retrieve which she loves (as can be seen in the vid) and is her reward for being steady or i say "no" if i miss, and if it was a particularly bad shot i apologise to her 😁 Unlike Mr Trekmoor i send her for each bird which may or may not be correct but for me its all about the dog work the shooting is merely a means to an end, that and some rather tasty pigeon breast 😄
I don't see how any of that depicts anything other than man and dog engaged and working as a team. Furthermore apart from her potentially spooking the birds if she was outside the hide i do not think that we would be as good a team or either of us enjoy it as much as however soppy it may sound we both like to be close to each other at all times, if there is not much action i can give her a stroke, give her some sausage roll etc whereas if she was outside the hide she and i would not have the same connection plus she would be only a breath away from unsteadiness , possibly run in to a low bird and possibly get shot ☹️
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

Springfield Pointers

Post by Springfield Pointers » Tue May 08, 2018 12:42 pm

We shoot pigeons standing in the open, they don't spook easily. Waterfowling from a hide, where the dogs can see easily. I have never found it necessary to be completely hidden when shooting Pigeon. There is no right or wrong way. If it works for you then carry on.