First day on peg

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
PRH
Dogs: Willow and Tarka

First day on peg

Post by PRH » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:48 pm

I was lucky enough to shoot at Sydenham last week on a 200 bird day. I took both dogs and Mrs H! The 18 month old sat on the peg and was super steady. I’d got the safety net of Mrs H taking her if she didn’t enjoy it, but the transition from picking up to peg went well. I sat her up in front of me and gave her a prop- a stick to sit next to. She then came out with me the next day on a 150 bird day and was as good as gold. Learning from mistakes of the past I was very steady at the end of the drive putting the gun away, picking up the empty cartridges and then moving her away from the peg to send her for a retrieve. I avoided runners and just gave her a couple of simple retrieves all day. Hopefully a few more days like that before the end of the season will set us up well for future years. No idea why image is sideways....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

farleigh

Re: First day on peg

Post by farleigh » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:38 am

She looks a lovely dog and well done with the steadiness. I am a keen picker-up and have always wondered about peg dogs' hearing. We wear hearing protection so how do they cope with the sound of the shots especially when situated in front of the gun? Do they just go deaf enough to handle it?

ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Post by ips » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:32 am

farleigh wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:38 am
She looks a lovely dog and well done with the steadiness. I am a keen picker-up and have always wondered about peg dogs' hearing. We wear hearing protection so how do they cope with the sound of the shots especially when situated in front of the gun? Do they just go deaf enough to handle it?
I have also wondered the same
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

PRH
Dogs: Willow and Tarka

Post by PRH » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:43 am

Good question. My old lab went deaf but I had her next to / slightly behind me. I only do a handful of days a season, so I don’t know if her deafness was down to shooting or just old age.

Naj

Post by Naj » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:03 pm

A peg dog is relatively clear of the muzzle blast when compared with shooting over a spaniel or pointing breed. Or shooting over a dog in the confines of a hide. Hearing damage is inevitable. I’ve seen American trainers say you shouldn’t shoot directly over a dog for this very reason, and that’s perhaps easier for them when hunting over a pointing breed because they traditionally walk forward on their own to flush the bird/s but that’s often impossible if you use your dog to flush the bird and shoot stuff going away. :think:

Nah

farleigh

Post by farleigh » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:28 am

Yes, but surely a peg dog is subjected to far more shots in a day than a pointer or a spaniel.

newf

Post by newf » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:29 am

True enough, Farleigh. And in the case of a spaniel, odds are for 20 to 30 yard flushes.

Springfield Pointers

Post by Springfield Pointers » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:59 am

Naj wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:03 pm
A peg dog is relatively clear of the muzzle blast when compared with shooting over a spaniel or pointing breed. Or shooting over a dog in the confines of a hide. Hearing damage is inevitable. I’ve seen American trainers say you shouldn’t shoot directly over a dog for this very reason, and that’s perhaps easier for them when hunting over a pointing breed because they traditionally walk forward on their own to flush the bird/s but that’s often impossible if you use your dog to flush the bird and shoot stuff going away. :think:

Nah
Indeed. Some of the spaniels I've seen hunting, would be directly at your feet or less than a yard from you...

Naj

Post by Naj » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:02 pm

farleigh wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:28 am
Yes, but surely a peg dog is subjected to far more shots in a day than a pointer or a spaniel.
Ear damage is cumulative and ongoing. It doesn’t really matter if the shots all come at once or over a period of time. Every time your ears ring after a loud noise you’ve suffered irreparable damage and it’s the same mechanism for dogs I’d imagine. And from my own experience there’s a marked difference between being in front of the muzzle and behind it. A right handed shooter even gets more damage in the leading left ear than the more sheltered right ear. So I’d guess there was the potential for more damage in a spaniel or pointer situated in front of the muzzles and with them at a shallower angle than a dog sat in front or to the side with the muzzles pointing skywards and often away from the dog. :think:

Naj

Jelinga
Dogs: Drift and Rourke

Post by Jelinga » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:04 pm

It certainly caused damage to me! I used to go rough shooting with three chaps and was always on the right hand side of one, now have dreadful tinnitus. My own fault, I should have wrong ear protection, which of course dogs can't wear!