Hunt command

Discuss working your Gundog or tell us about your experiences be it sublime or ridiculous!
scot-ish
Dogs: yes please

Re: Hunt command

Post by scot-ish » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:03 pm

there should be no reason to teach a dog to hunt close to you, that should be trained, and on a retrieve the dog should be sent down wind of the mark, stopped in a place where the dog will pick up the scent, watch the dog whilst its sat or stood, and you will soon see the dog change to the scent, then the dog should only need and "out" directional command, and it should pick up exactly what you are after.
An Argumentative Bugger

CockerCanuck
Dogs: Ruadh, Fergal, Hamish

Post by CockerCanuck » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:56 pm

scot-ish wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:03 pm
there should be no reason to teach a dog to hunt close to you, that should be trained, and on a retrieve the dog should be sent down wind of the mark, stopped in a place where the dog will pick up the scent, watch the dog whilst its sat or stood, and you will soon see the dog change to the scent, then the dog should only need and "out" directional command, and it should pick up exactly what you are after.
Perhaps another example of transatlantic language barrier but what is the difference between "teach" and "train"?

munstyman

Post by munstyman » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:17 pm

CockerCanuck wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:56 pm

Perhaps another example of transatlantic language barrier but what is the difference between "teach" and "train"?
Much closer than the trans Atlantic thing, CC, I'm lost as well :?

Mike A
Dogs: Ned , Wilf and Milo

Post by Mike A » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:32 pm

I usually look down at Wilf and say f##k off then , he doesn't need telling twice :whistle:

ips
Dogs: Eze "cocker"

Post by ips » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:56 pm

Mike A wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:32 pm
I usually look down at Wilf and say f##k off then , he doesn't need telling twice :whistle:
Lol 😀
Muddling along in the hope that one day it starts to make sense.

Judy
Co-Admin

Post by Judy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:19 pm

Mike A wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:32 pm
I well remember having a bad moment in the kitchen then wondering why all the dogs scarpered... Hadn't realised what language I must use when dogs decide to do their own thing. :whistle:
In life, it is important to know when to stop arguing with people and simply let them be wrong.